Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my cb500 for my old laptop and it took nothing more then an oil change and putting gas in her to get it to start right up (lucky me), but won't drive. as soon as the clutch is let 1/2 to 3/4 out the bike just dies. checked plugs and they were black so thought this could be because of the 4 to 1 exhaust maybe the bike just wasn't re-jetted when it was installed? planned to do it anyway but was wondering if I'm on the right track on that.

my real question as of now is with the wiring. i would really like to go ahead and do a more simple harness taking out the electric starter and blinkers. can i just take those out of the stock harness?

bike currently has a flip switch and push button start with the kick starter totally off which i hate, and makes it super east to steal.

IMG_2525.JPG IMG_2526.JPG

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Except for maybe the handle bar switches, you can unwrap and rewire an entire bike if you take your time and do a tidy job with the wiring. That guy before you
…. not such a good job :|
he could have at least hidden the switch in a water protected spot, that you were not going to bump to the off position by accident.

Buy heat shrink tubing for all your wire splices, the stuff is great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya he hacked at it pretty bad luckily its really only there at the switch and the brake light that ill have to worry about fixing from him at least that i have found thus far.
thanks for the help!

·
Registered
573 Posts
It is not just the 4-1 exhaust making it die, unless there is a family of mice living in it.

Go through the bike, adjust valves, adjust cam chain, set ignition timing and gap, put new plug in it, then make sure the jets in the carbs are clear and the float levels are set correctly. Then come back and describe the symptoms

Reactions: Homanpv

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Leave the electric starter and turn signals on the bike. Don't remove them until you have it running perfectly and have ridden it for a year or so. Then you will know what you need to do next. If you are just building a styling exercise and following the "cafe racer" crowd, then go ahead and rip a non-running bike apart and make it your own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
definitely not just a styling exercise, but will have to purchase both front a rear blinkers and figure a place to put rear as previous owner did an ugly fiber glass tail so don't have anywhere to put them currently. at least not until i scrap this tail, but just trying to ignore how ugly it is for now and be road ready. got it with some cheap totally beat rear blinkers just hanging down for what looked to be quite a while. the electric starter i can keep if it can cause further problems later just have to relocate the ignition switch and put it back to the stock key turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts