Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Simple one for you guys I'm sure. I'm looking for my first Cafe project bike and currently have couple of options

1976 CB500 twin with 39k miles
1975 CB500 4 with with 27k miles

I was hoping you guys could tell me the positive and negatives for each...?

Both are a little rough around the edges, but intend to do full strip / rebuild so not so worried - Have yet to view but am told both start and run well.

BTW I'm in the UK so not sure if the model + years are the same in the states????

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Decide if you want a twin or a four. A twin will be simpler to tune and maintain. It will have more torque at a given rpm. The four will be more complicated with four of everything instead of two. Nothing sounds and revs as good as a four. I believe the twin 500 is also a 4 valve twin cam? Between the two, I think the 4 is more common and may handle better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Decide if you want a twin or a four. A twin will be simpler to tune and maintain. It will have more torque at a given rpm. The four will be more complicated with four of everything instead of two. Nothing sounds and revs as good as a four. I believe the twin 500 is also a 4 valve twin cam? Between the two, I think the 4 is more common and may handle better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I prefer twins over fours just for the simplicity and, to a lesser degree, lower cost. I've had both over the past years. I also like the balanced look of two carbs and two mufflers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I prefer twins over fours just for the simplicity and, to a lesser degree, lower cost. I've had both over the past years. I also like the balanced look of two carbs and two mufflers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts