Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping I can get a little technical help from someone on here. I recently sold a cb500f Henry Abe 605cc big bore kit to another guy on this forum. It was my wifes and had been sitting on the shelf since she bought it new 12 years ago so we're pretty sure all the parts are right.

I just received an email from the buyer with this message and don't really know what to tell him.

I just pulled the motor last night and was looking at the kit you sent
me. I found that the pistons dont fit inside the sleves that came in
the kit. I was wondering if you new anything about this. Is there
any chance that these aren't the right sleeves or do you knw of
anything else that might cause this.

Anybody have any ideas? Any feedback is appreciated.
Joe
CO-OH VinMoto

SBRacing
Columbus, Ohio
groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I would suspect that the sleeves are deliberately undersized. The sleeves will end up distorted after they are installed as an interference fit in the cylinder block after it is bored to accept the larger sleeves. It should be about a .002" interference fit, so the block will need to be heated and the sleeves cooled. After installation of the sleeves they will need to be bored to match the pistons. The Henry Abe stuff was good, but not great. I would be surprised if the pistons are all the same diameter. They will need to be individually bored and then kept matched to that piston.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
585 Posts
+1 I agree. the sleeves are not blow and go. You need to hone those bad boys out with a professional honing bar -- not some crappy little Christmas tree hone.

-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts