Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I have been trying to locate a set of outer rubber boots for the stock Air Box of my 1975 CB550-K. After several months of getting nothing but dry rotted junk, of which I already have several samples, I bought a set of EMGO Pod filters # 12-55739. The box says that they will fit Honda CB550 F/K 69-76. The inner ones are just fine, the outer ones hit the frame and need to be 1/2 inch shorter. Has anyone had this experience and how was it corrected. Thanks for any help.....

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had the same problem with my 500.
heres a link for some shorties. the stock 39mm. These are 35mm and are specifically meant to still fit and clear chassis.

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

they are under fuel system parts, air filters than pod filters.

By the way, us 500 and 550 guys can get usually away without having to rejet our carbs when putting on individual filters!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll be headed to the local shop in the AM.

John

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
emgo filters are junk, you wasted your money.

if you are going to buy pods, you need to look for a filter that is actually at the very least paper and not wire mesh (there are more expensive emgo paper filter pods and they are still junk). You need to look for a filter that has an inside shape similar to the carb rubbers that your airbox had. K&N, uni, and any company making a velocity stack are what you want. All you did with your emgo pods is sign your self up for tuning nightmares trying to get her to run right with those crappy don't filter nothing pods. bet they were cheap though.

now, was there some reason you did not check your honda dealer for the airbox rubbers? I can get all my cb750 stuff from the dealer still (but I run velocity stacks on my 550 so I didn't look for the airbox rubbers). Off the top of my head as to who would have them instock is david silver spares in england (and he does a lot of business in america):

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/genuine-spares/part_5083/

a link for you to read:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=15832.0

·
Registered
89 Posts
If we all had a hundered bucks to fork over for filters from K&N I'm sure we would. I have heard good thing about uni though; they are probably cheaper than K&N. And don't run velocity stacks unless you want to ruin your bike. They look cool, give you a few horse more, but letting in debris can corrode engine parts fast. Any filter is better than no filter, unless you race, which geeto probably does. If you want it to run perfect though, go with the stock filter and try to find the parts you are looking for. Old hondas run better overall with stock filters as they were made to do. The air filters allow considerably more air flow than a stock air box, however, carb adjustments will be required to get the proper amount of fuel to match the increased air flow. A 25% increase in jet size may be needed. Lower CC engines can usually keep same jet size though without problems.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Coopster54

If we all had a hundered bucks to fork over for filters from K&N I'm sure we would. And don't run velocity stacks unless you want to ruin your bike. They look cool, give you a few horse more, but letting in debris can corrode engine parts fast. Any filter is better than no filter, unless you race, which geeto probably does.
I hate to tell you this cheif but V-stacks with fine mesh fiters actually filter more than your precious emgo cheapie mesh pods. On my cb550 street chop I run v-stacks with mesh and a thin layer of foam (cut from a block of uni-filter) Keeps the pollen and dust out which is more than I can say for your emgo pods.

Can you dyno verify that your pods actually give you more ponies? 'cause every dyno pull with a cb750 I have ever seen shows a loss with those cheap ass things, espically in the mid range. The main reason the emgo's don't make any HP by the way is their internal shape. If you look at the stock honda airbox, the rubbers are shaped like velocity stacks, this is to smooth and speed up air and assist in the vacuum pull the engine is drawing in. If you look inside an emgo it is flat as a board with a hole cut in it, this created more turbulence in your filter than outside it and you actually end up drawing less air per intake cycle.

I have seen some increase with K&N pods after extensive jetting and a much better 4 into 1 pipe. The best mod I have seen as far as a filter giving any performance is a K&N replacement element for the factory air box. And K&Ns are reusable so you only buy them once.

I used to drag race, but I am strictly street now. I just find it helps to know what you are ACTUALLY talking about before recommending a cheap, crappy, POUSER part to somebody.

If you are that worried about engine contamination then you should be more worried about pollen and dust than the off chance a bumble bee is going to get sucked in your motor, which means those wire mesh are a waste of money. Last I checked those emgo paper element pods are $15 a pop and you have to buy them every year.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Coopster54

I am just giving this guy an option. Not making or telling him he has to do it. Just give your opinoin. hopefully others will to. And based on everyones imput he can make up his own mind. No one cares what anyone else runs on there own bike. I personally run stock airbox, but answered his question to the best of my ability. I dont claim to be a Honda carb guru. But I know cars and some bikes. I went to school at mcpherson tech for auto restoration. Not a Cb550 school, but everyone knows increased air = increased Hp in correctly tune vehicles, bike or car. I have made a few post the last couple of days, and I think this is my last. This forum reminds me of childrens game forums. everyone gets the 4th degree for a post, from flame posters like yourself.
Flame poster? Moi?

Having gone to school to restore cars then I am sure you are well aware that there are good quality parts and bad quality parts. Emgo is one of those companies that makes bad quality parts. You didn't know - it is ok it happens and now you do know.

The one thing I learned about bikes when I began working on them is what is true for a car is not necessarily true for a bike. Also bikes are a lot more sensitive to changes than cars would be. If you had to compare them to cars, your average run of the mill honda 4 cylinder has more in common with a ferrari v-12 than it does with a chevy 350.

yes air = hp in correctly tuned vehicles but the funny thing about a bike is a really crap part can turn a correctly tuned vehicle into a not correctly tuned vehicle and may cause you to chase problems that you are creating at the same time.

Trust me I am not giving you the 4th degree (you can do a search to see what my 4th degree looks like) but you did recommend a part that I would not take if you paid me to, and that is common knowledge, on the internet, to be total shit. I personally don't care if you come, stay, lay, or pray but if you decide to leave you'll miss out on a ton of shit you obviously don't know. it's your call.

PS - wadda doing hanging out on children's game sites....eeeeewwwwwwww[:p]

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
BTW,

if you still want a forum to learn stuff, go over here:

www.sohc4.net

all cb350F, 400, 500, 550, 750 SOHC bikes. Plus they are all into that touch feely "other people's feelings" crap (however if you search for emgos over there you'll pretty much find they also say they are crap).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you opinion is legitimate. You happen to have based it off of CRC's website and NOT expirence, but it is legitimatly your opinion. Sort of.

Please, you are welcome to spout off as much incorrect or misinformed information as you want here. Heck it is even fun when you get all defensive when people call you on it. It is really super neat when your 18 year old ass tries to be cool with run on file directories that insult me. Seriously, really makes you sound like you know all about bike tuning.

Hey, you are just as entitled to put crap on your bike as I am to tell you you are putting crap on your bike. It is your right to recommend shitty parts on this board just as it is my right to tell people they are shitty parts on this board. Heck it is even your right to delude yourself into thinking they are not shitty parts.

Rather than spout off all this hurt garbage about how the good parts cost too much and I am soo flaming your ass, why don't you tell me in the most scientific terms you know why those emgo pods are so great. Please, enlighten me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you even read the first two posts? He said he bought emgo filters and they didnt fit; I said same thing happened to me, so I bought some different ones( cause right now I'm broke. Or else I would be runnin uni's). I also, in another thread said they arenot the best solution before this thread even started. When did I fucking say they are great, dumbass? Or good? Or sucky? I'm not going to defend them?!?!They work for a freaking cafe bike unless you have no car and ride every day. I know you get what you pay for. Your just typing before reading anything cause you seem to like re-reading your own posts. I'm not 18, I'm 24. I was giving him an answer to his question. Now go harass someone else. Why even tell you that; you'll probably have another lecture for me oh great one.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I thought you were leaving? you edited all your previous posts and everything.

it is nice to know you recommend a part you don't even support to strangers.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Coopster54,
OK, this time I am raggin on you. First off, if you insist on going after Geeto, then you are on your own, but you have been warned. You most probably will end up in resorting to name calling and personal attacks since you won't be able to come up with a logical disagreement based on facts. Oops, I see you already lowered yourself to that approach.
Next, think about this if you will; you correctly stated that if you can put more air into an engine then you will get more HP out. Then Geeto correctly pointed out that most of the time, on the dyno that most Honda 4s running individual filters make less HP than stock. So the only logical conclusion to draw from this is that individual filters do not flow more air into the engine than the stock airbox. That is also correct. Fact: those stupid little rubber velocity stacks in the stock airbox really flow well, whether they re in the stock airbox or not. Proof lies in that at the racetrack on my CB350 with the stock rubber velocity stacks on the carb with no filter was running much too lean and I did not have big enough jets with me. I removed the v-stacks and had to drop down 3 mainjet sizes from what was too lean to make it lean enough to run well. By the way, I run the stock v-stack inside of foam uni filters on my race bike. It runs really well, but I ended up shimming the needle and changing the mains and pilots and adjusting the airscrews. I also removed the choke plate and shaft and filled and smoothed the remaining holes. By the way, jetting carbs is not that hard if you understand how the carbs work( either CV or slide needle) and tune them in a progressive and logical fashion. If you just want to take the easy way out of carb tuning then leave everything stock. Just because the bike seems to run well doesn't mean it is jetted right. If you can't read a sparkplug then don't mess with jetting. There is a tremendous amount of carburetor jetting myth and misinformation out there. Any carb can be tuned to work with any intake and exhaust system. When it is properly set up, it may or may not make more HP than stock, but it can be made to run well. By the way I didn't learn how to tune carbs in tech school, I learned it the hard way through experience, racing, making mistakes and correcting them. Of course, I am more than 24. I started racing bikes in 77 and working as a mechanic in a dealership in 81.I guess that was a little before your time. So, harden up a little, this board is no place for a sensitive flower, have some fun, and try and learn something. Or, you can keep showing your ignorance and providing entertainment value for the vultures.Just because Geeto can seem abrasive( it is a matter of perspective), doesn't make him wrong (this time).

(Just having fun) Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
awww, how cute I have a stalker...he searched for pics of me and everything. I feel special. And I have a great sense of humor about a lot of things (that pic being one of them).

I'm not going to call anybody any names. I don't have to. 18, 24, immature and ignorant is what it is.

coop - you are not doing yourself any favors keeping this up. Not because of me (I am completely entertained by this - seriously it has given me a good laugh) but because if there was anyone who shared your viewpoint you probably have turned them off with your antics. 24? act your age.

PS - The internet is not real. If the server dies tomorrow it will be like none of this has ever happened and all you will have gotten out of it is your rage.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh and if you wanted to post a fat pic, you should have posted this one instead:

It really makes me look like the blob.

now let me give you some sage advice:

- Do not recommend parts that are shit to people. it makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about. Espically don't do it when the part is known to be snake oil that bike shops and online retailers sell to the people who don't know anything, don't do the research, and are generally considered to be a waste of money.

- Do not make unsubstantiated horsepower claims. it makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about.

- most of the people here are racers so there is a strong almost religious belief of function over form in motorcycles. Saying stuff like "the sacrifices we make for the look of pods" will probably get you lit up like a roman candle. Oh and it makes you look like you don't know what you are talking about.

- Spewing tuning advice from a website that is trying to sell you something does not make you look like you know what you are talking about. it also makes you look unoriginal. It doesn't help when the website happens to be full of shit.

- don't be too surprised when you do any of the above things and people tell you you don't know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Kennesex. Thanks for a least being polite to me. I respect what you have to say. All of you guys. I am no profesional. Nor do I back any products. I stated to the best of my knowledge what I knew. Bad or not, It was what I could do to answer this guys original question. Since I am not a "racer", my opinoin will be left silent unless I have a lecture to back it from now on. I still will be posting, cause I am here to learn from the people who have experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts