Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to hook up the fuel tank on my CB550 for the first time (intake manifold O rings finally arrived) and ran into a couple of things:

1. There appear to be two connections for fuel lines on the carb rack, one set a little higher than the other, but only one line coming from the tank. Which should I connect to, and what's the other for? (Gas spews put of somewhere if I turn it over with the line connected to the lower and larger diameter nipple.)

2. How do I hook up the choke. My Clymer manual says nothing (that I can find) about the choke. I think I've found the right place to hook it up, but if I do it seems way to short and the choke is full on all the time with no way to adjust it. How should this be connected and does it need to happen before I slide the carbs all the way into place?

Stattz

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geeto,

Can you clarify what you mean by "carbs are back against the rubber manifolds". Are you talking about the intake manifold rubber boots or the air filter rubber boots? Is the ridge the little lip-type thing on the intake side of the carbs for the boot tofit over. I did have a problem doing this, but seemed to get it on OK. What happens if it's not on right?

Thanks for the prompt response. With luck it'll fire up tonight. I hope.

Stattz

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appear to have worked it out. I hooked up the fuel line using the larger of the two nozzles and

Lo! She runs!

I didn't hook anything to the other nozzle and could feel no vacuum there.

Fired right up, but is idling at around 4000rpm. The idle adjustment screw is set as low as possible, but makes no difference. Manually operating the choke lever slightly increases idle speed. What else is there to adjust?

I still have a couple of hoses that I have no idea what the're for - one is the size of a carb overflow tube, the other slightly bigger. The last half an inch of he bigger one has a larger diameter, kind of like a boot cover for something. Hard to explain. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? It's too large a diameter for the other nozzle.

Still, I'm feeling chuffed - she runs.

Stattz

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Geeto, I'll investigate the air screws and slide. When I bought the bike the carb rack was removed with intake manifolds attached. Hence the missing nuts and O rings. I'll check to make sure the're seated properly in the boots.

The carb overflows all have hoses as does the case breather. Hmmm.

Stattz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.