Cafe Racer Forum banner

CB550 parts

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  LiLBull 
#1 ·
First time poster, so im sorry if i dont do this the right way. My name is Matt. Im 22 years old and i live about an hour south of Chicago. Im new to this whole game actually. I got my first bike this past spring (1978 CB750K). Followed by a second a week later. (1976 CB550F) The 750 is a little rough, so i left that for a later project sitting in my garage. But the 550 is actually in incredible shape but its all stock, except for the 4 into 1 header. i really want to transform it into a cafe over this winter, so im looking for any advice that will be thrown my way, or any parts for sale..... (rear sets, seats) anything like that. Like I said, any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Matt Billadeau

#2 ·
Hey Matt,

First off, welcome! Secondly, there are tons of posts here about what a caferacer should or shouldn't be. Much of it comes down to taste. But look through some of the old posts and you'll find lots of info on bars, rearsets, exhausts, etc. There are many here with 550's, myself included, so don't hesitate to ask.

JD

#4 ·
hi Matt.I dont know where online you have been but the best inspiration page i have found when thinking about a street build is
www.ace-cafe-london.com his picture archive is full of cafeinated to the max bikes.http://vonblonde.com also has good cafe pics.For parts I have had luck one stop shopping with

www.oldbikebarn.com also take a look at www.omarsdtr.com

ebay has everything as well just type in cb 550 or cb550 and you will fall asleep staring at all the used and new parts for sale.

you may want body work and Glass from the past is a good place to start looking ,there is airtechairstreamlining but I just like the pictures of body work they say they carry ,my experience is that there web site hasnt been up dated in several years so I just look at the body work for inspiration.

Its all a matter of taste, do what you want, listen to everyone, but use your own ideas. Thats what makes them interesting , the details that sets them apart. Not only from other bikes, but from each other...if we all wanted the same looking bike we would just go buy a production bike and polish it on saturdays.

personally I like the punk rock/handbuilt back yard look /with artistic style.I dont like them that pretty, but thats me you may like super polished aluminum and deep wet looking paint.
Each to his own ..build it your way and screw anyones comments..its not about pleasing anyone but yourself.

the biggest difference between cafe racers and cafe styled street bikes.Racing is for rules regulations and speed you want to win,you want to place, you want the trophy.
On the street its all about attitude and having something different.

Always good to have another brother in arms.
George

Edited by - LILBull on Dec 06 2005 07:15:40 AM

#6 ·
matt,

welcome and good luck!

bull,

i think it was you who wanted a link to cafe tech tips/parts leads. couldn't you link your own page to your website, or am i confusing you with geet, or am i just confused all together?

tex "regularly wrong, always certain" mawby

#8 ·
I go to the Acecafe site for insperation also http://www.sohc4.us/
To me Omars prices are freaking nuts. interesting site but way to much money for his stuff
Bikebarn is good and as has been said E-bay too.
I had a XS650 i made into a cafe bike made my own set of rear sets realy notall that hard.
Got 2 CB550'2 for my winter project and they too will be Cafe bikes.
The 550 is a great platfrom for a cafe bike they handle great seem to be pretty tough motors And they have a classic look to them.
this site has XS650 parts but he has clubman bars some after market head light ears
http://www.mikesxs.com/mikesxs-electrical.php?category_id=2.5

84 FJ110
77 cb550

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.