Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the process of rebuilding the motor on my cb550, replacing the head, cylinder base, and valve cover gaskets, and rings.

this is my first time doing anything like this, so if you can point me in the right direction with any tips or advice, please let me know. Also, if you can provide any advice as far as taking off the timing chain and the cam, im interested, as it's proven to be a pain in the ass to take off.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
On the 550, if you pull the cam chain sprocket off the cam, then the chain off the sprocket, the cam will slide right out.It shouldn't be an issue. You may need to compress the cam chain tensioner slipper spring to gain some slack in the chain so the sprocket comes off the shoulder of the cam more easily. You can do that by loosening up the tensioner bolt and getting a long screwdriver to reach down the cam chain tunnel and force th slipper towards the intake side of the cylinder block and then retightening the tensioner bolt while you maintain pressure on the slipper.
It is pretty straight forward.

Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
those 550 head gaskets are wonderful. i have about 12pairs of rust proof socks now.

jc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts