Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what parts from which years are interchangable for the 550k to the 500k?? i want to set up a tank sidecover and seat combo.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
as far as I know it is all interchangable except the engine internals. On later 550s the seat hinges on a different side. Also some seats and tanks are different lengths so just because it bolts on doesn;t mean there won;t be a gap. As far as I know the cb500 and 1974 cb550 K0 and 1975 cb550 K1 are interchangable on the tanks and maybe the seats. Some of the early 550s used the 500's tank with the old paint scheme, switching over to the later honda side stripes midyear. The F's are another matter alltogether, will fit the 550 but might not fit the 500.

this is a late 1974 cb550:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...586192465QQcategoryZ80647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this is an early 1974 cb550:
http://gallery.egofreeracing.com/album10/DSC05236

note that the early one uses the same seat throughout the 74 year but the early tank is a leftover 500. the only difference is the sidecover emblems.

So what year 500 and what year and model 550 are you talking about?

In my Honest opinion the best looking paint schemes are the cb500s with the two tone black and metallic green or copper and black (fades to orange fast) with the white stripe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...586058158QQcategoryZ80647QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, the best mod to do with these bikes is to get the early cb500 and stuff the late 70's early 80's SOHC cb650 motor in it. Although they share no internal parts, they 650 is a dead ringer for the 500 and uses all the same motor mounts. nets you more torque and about 5-8 more peak hp.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive got a 72 500 4 that currently has a 750 tank on it with a chopped up seat. with some poorly painted sidecovers. otherwise, its real nice. so im on a search for some body parts that will finish it out. even a clean 750 tank would be ok then i need to just find some side covers.

me

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
ok sorted it out, 1974-1976 cb550 will interchange with the cb500, even the side covers. 1977-78 the tank might interchange but it is a different shape (more like a cb750 tank) but the side covers are smaller and may not, the seat is also larger and it may not as well.

Don't buy maier sidecovers, they are junk. Make sure you get OEM honda.

if your sidecovers are not missing chunks, but just poorly painted, sand them down (350 grit and work your way up to 600), get some black spray paint and spray them. or you can have them professionally painted. Finding a matching set of colored covers is going to be difficult and expensive. Maaco charges like 200 bucks to do a whole car. They charge a lot less to spray a set of motorcycle bodywork. You just make sure the bodywork is sanded, preped, and all fill work needs to be done before you take it to them. Years ago I used to have them spray my bikes and it cost $30-$50 depending on what kind of mood the shop guy was in, but that was back when they would paint cars for $100.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks, i'll take that info and run with it!!!

joe

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
that seat kinda looks like a dildo.

coolest seat i have seen for a similar streetbike is a corbin. my friend has one on his gb 500. looks cool, comfy and chicks dig it.

joe may like the dildo.

mt

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My cb750F DOHC corbin cost close to $300 new, and that was with free shipping and show special pricing. They don't make a seat for the cb500/550 so I can't imagine what the custom charge on something like that would be, if they would do it at all. The going rate for a cb550 seat would be about $100-$150 if it has no rips. If you already have a seat pan an interior shop can sort you out for about the same money with a basic recover. Personally If I was going to have a seat recovered, I'd haveit done exactly like the old BSAs with the little ducktail spoiler at the end of the seat. Those always looked too cool.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i saw that seat on ebay i just thought, what an ugly piece of crap. no wonder why they arent keeping it.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its too round and soft looking. and i dont like the front edge.near the tank.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
they went overboard with the foam. whats the difference ... gerbil tubes, dildos... it's all the same.

mt

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, i think i just blew a load. man, that is one sexy machine. now thats a bike you can ride for the weekend!

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
wow, i think i just blew a load. man, that is one sexy machine. now thats a bike you can ride for the weekend!

jc
supposedly Dresda built it but I couldn't find info on their site for it. Dresda used to build parts for cb500/550 decades ago so you may stil see that stuff turn up from time to time. I think they get about $800 (English pounds..I don't have the symbol on my comp) for a tank like that built custom for the cb500 frame. I know they still do cb750 frames but they are spcial orders only. Universal seats like the one on that bike are still available but you will need to make your own mounts. the wheels on that bike confuse me though. I can;t tell if the bike is a legit dresda built back in the day, or if it was newly constructed and uses marchenesi wheels. I have never seen a wheel design like that on a 70's wheel, but marchenesi has a design like that now.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
of course right after I say finding a matching set of bodywork and side covers is rare, a set comes up on ebay.

A few reasons to dust off the old ebay sniper rifle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...585657439QQcategoryZ35597QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971...585520788QQcategoryZ35583QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one of my favorite colors for a cb500. This is for the engine, but you may want to drop them a line and see if they still have the tank and side covers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/71-h...ryZ35595QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts