Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have '76 CB500t clamps, 35mm they should fit and might be the same? I know the tapered bearing kit is the same. I could post pics. if you want,$10. + shipping.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have '76 CB500t clamps, 35mm they should fit and might be the same? I know the tapered bearing kit is the same. I could post pics. if you want,$10. + shipping.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to put a GT750 front end to use. I was told that cb550 clamps had the proper distance center to center so I wouldn't have to have any spacers made. I am limited as to way of measuring,I only have a set of 6in dial calipers.Measuring the overall width of the fork tubes is over 6in when they are in the Suzuki clamps. If I measure between the tubes when they are in the clamps I get 5.520 in. Would you have a way of taking the same measurement off the clamp? I think that I am getting an accurate measurement my calipers have to bump right against the tubes when I measure. The front end I am taking measurements from are on a bike,it would be time consuming to drop the tubes . If they are close by measure,for ten bucks plus shipping I'll take my chances. Do you happen to have a paypal account or would you prefer a check.

Thanks ,Steve

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to put a GT750 front end to use. I was told that cb550 clamps had the proper distance center to center so I wouldn't have to have any spacers made. I am limited as to way of measuring,I only have a set of 6in dial calipers.Measuring the overall width of the fork tubes is over 6in when they are in the Suzuki clamps. If I measure between the tubes when they are in the clamps I get 5.520 in. Would you have a way of taking the same measurement off the clamp? I think that I am getting an accurate measurement my calipers have to bump right against the tubes when I measure. The front end I am taking measurements from are on a bike,it would be time consuming to drop the tubes . If they are close by measure,for ten bucks plus shipping I'll take my chances. Do you happen to have a paypal account or would you prefer a check.

Thanks ,Steve

·
Registered
664 Posts
I measured the clamps to the inside of the fork tube holes,5.75 in. aprox. I'm not sure what frame you have? The honda 450,500 550's are all very similar and should swap out. The 750's have a longer tube in the center. I replaced the whole thing on my 500, so if I can find it, you can have it all, clamps, inner & outer bearings, loose ball bearings handlebar holders& rubber cups. I'll post a pic. when I get my camera battery recharged.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I measured the clamps to the inside of the fork tube holes,5.75 in. aprox. I'm not sure what frame you have? The honda 450,500 550's are all very similar and should swap out. The 750's have a longer tube in the center. I replaced the whole thing on my 500, so if I can find it, you can have it all, clamps, inner & outer bearings, loose ball bearings handlebar holders& rubber cups. I'll post a pic. when I get my camera battery recharged.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for looking. If our measurements differ a 1/4in. I would have to have some spacers made. Not the easiest thing around here. I have to match the Suzuki stuff,Then attach it to a 72 CB450.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for looking. If our measurements differ a 1/4in. I would have to have some spacers made. Not the easiest thing around here. I have to match the Suzuki stuff,Then attach it to a 72 CB450.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don, Did you get the messages that I sent from Caferacer? Please contact me at the address above. Thanks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
f or k model.....just to make a mess.

this for a new racer baker?? shit, another legit 500gp bike!!! bring that thing to the wera rounds and have your way with us!!! ive been wanting to do that for some tie. the 500gp regional championship is pretty much there for the taking. someone should really step up!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, by the way....im not sure the spacing is going to work out exactly for you if youre running the gt550/750 setup. i havnt heard of one just going right in. but you could be right. im using the 550 trees with 750ss forks, and needed spacers. honestly, its really not that hard to do. its really very easy. you could prolly do it on your wood lathe, but im sure anyone would help you out if you sent some dimensions along.

jc

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking that I would put together a street bike and ride it with a for sale sign on it. I haven't ridden on the street since I started racing.I don't know if I'll like it again or not.If I only had to stack up some small spacers I think that I could handle that,as long as the stack doesn't add up to much more than a quarter inch. 500 GP might be fun,don't you think that tt would be hard to keep up with on that Ducati? I would like to race something other than the cb350 but thats where all the fun is right now. I may be too big for classes with smaller displacement and I don't have anything or the budget to run something larger. I thought that a somewhat stock cb450 was under powered for the 500 class. My other bike I thought that would be fun to build would be a cb77. Once again an under dog for the class,but I think they are cool bikes. Just trying to fight off the winter doldrums.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm not exactly sure where you need the spacers? If you post the dimentions of the spacer you need I might find one for you. I have a crossreference for Caterpillar tractors, they use thousands of different spacers, they are exelent quality and reasonably priced( compared to haveing some machined.Once you have a part # you can get it from your local Cat dealer. Lonewolf, I didn't get an e-mail, I'll e-mail you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts