Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im buying this cb550 from my friend for next to nothing. I was wondering what the difference was between the cb750 and the cb550, I mean frame, motor, trans, suspension. I haven't ridden it yet but it is super clean all it needs are new points which are almost as much as what Im buying the bike for. I already have a cb750, the cb750 I was making a bobber/cafe styled bike out of and Im thinking a full race inspired theme for the 550. is the 550 that much slower power wise than the 750?? how about the weight of the cb550 vs the cb750?? pretty much Im going to upgrade the suspension, cut as much weight as possible put really sticky tires on her and throw it in some corners and have fun with it.

if you would do a cafe racer which would you pick, Im thinking the 750 for the obvious displacement advantages and just cruise the hell out of the 550.

Heres the CB550

Heres my CB750

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?? from the little info I found, it looks like the cb550 is about 50lbs lighter than the 750. I think im going to go ahead and strip the 550 down for a racer.

any info would be great

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
For what its worth, I agree with your initial idea of leaving the 550 alone while giving the 750 the "treatment."

The 550 looks super clean and there's nothing wrong with a classic "stocker." Keep that one for giving the ladies a ride home from the bar.

750's already on its way. That front tire would scare the shit outta me though...

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Aside from being 50lbs lighter it is only 10hp less than the cb750, and a slightly better handler (despite having a pressed backbone frame).

Points and usually service items should be the same between the two bikes (oil filter, plugs, etc). Other than that the bikes share no major mechanical (except for some front end and brake parts but the spacers are different).

The 550 uses a wetsump oil system and shared case oil (meaning the engine oil is also the tranny oil) so there is no oil tank. The cb750 is dry sump with a tank. What is nice about this for the 550 is you can relocate the electrics to under the bump section of a fiberglass seat and get rid of the side covers completely.

as for you cb750, if you are going to ride without a front fender, put a fork brace on it fer chrissakes. Without the front fender the cb750 has unnatural twist and lateral flex. not fun. IF you look at your stock front fender, the mount is actually a fork brace, most guys drill out the rivits and then bolt the mount on without the fender.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the 750 needs some new tires lol. there not in bad shape but they really cant take a sharp corner. thanks geeto67 that's what I was looking for, I'd like to relocate the electrics to inside the back half of the seat and give it that straight motor frame look. I hate wires hanging everywhere and the side covers. so the power really isn't that much different, I'd figure that the hp and torque difference would be a little different. looks like if I put it on a little diet it will be just as quick as a 750.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh and what about the battery on the 550?? can I get rid of it completely and use the kick starter or does the bike rely on the battery like the 750 does??

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
honda's require a battery of some sort, however you just need enough juice to polarize the magnets so she will start. Vespa LX50 batteries are pretty small.

·
Registered
84 Posts
quote:

For what its worth, I agree with your initial idea of leaving the 550 alone while giving the 750 the "treatment."

The 550 looks super clean and there's nothing wrong with a classic "stocker." Keep that one for giving the ladies a ride home from the bar.

750's already on its way. That front tire would scare the shit outta me though...
No kidding, leave the 550 as-is. Nothing wrong with a clean stock-ish bike.

Finish your 750 as the "racer".

Ron Bullard
[email protected]

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=pdx_ron

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
firebut
i'm with most of the other guys...keep the 550 as is. most bikes are best kept as sold. few can be "improved" for street riding. that said, taking a bike with a sad past and doing your interpretation of the cafe thing can be great. have fun with the 750, and just shine up the 550.
-parks

·
Registered
66 Posts
maybe some paint on the 550. nice riding bike. do up the 750 and make it scream.

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts