Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can all breathe now, I got rid of the 650. Traded it to a guy an hour away for $50, a semi auto 12 ga. (which is up for sale) and, the best part of the deal, a TITLED 1973 Honda CB350 Scrambler! All original, all complete. Only needing carb work, battery! Maybe a better platform to start with. What do you think??

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
CB350 has a lot more aftermarket simply because they get raced, so you're heading in a better direction than the orphan 650.

crazypj on this board can set up your carbs for you if you want to run pods - he's one of the few guys that knows how to mod them so they actually run well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
CB350 has a lot more aftermarket simply because they get raced, so you're heading in a better direction than the orphan 650.

crazypj on this board can set up your carbs for you if you want to run pods - he's one of the few guys that knows how to mod them so they actually run well.
I wanted a twin anyway. I used to have a cb350 but it never got done and had to sell it for parts to buy a car for the family.

Great! I'll be getting in touch with him.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You really made out on the deal dude. As (sorta) noted above the high-pipe 350 is a CL not a CB. There few old motorcycles with such a devoted following. For good reason.
Cafewise your selection of platform has gone from frog to prince.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Don't cafe the CL.
scramblers are much "cooler" and useable.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
What kind of shotgun?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think I'm going to "cafe" it. I think I'm going to put a brat seat on it, some clubmans, and just mess with the motor a little. But keep it relatively stock. Paint will be the factory two tone job but with matte black as the primary and maybe olive drab as the secondary. Not 100% yet just throwing up ideas... Unfortunately, there are no heat shields on the mufflers. I'd like to find some for it. And I'm keeping the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yep, bars, pipes and TANK.
I wouldn't cut bits off if it's complete and in reasonable condition, most parts can be unbolted and saved for when the fad dissipates
Fit low bars with stock footrests, clubman's will be uncomfortable without rearsets

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, bars, pipes and TANK.
I wouldn't cut bits off if it's complete and in reasonable condition, most parts can be unbolted and saved for when the fad dissipates
Fit low bars with stock footrests, clubman's will be uncomfortable without rearsets
I like the look of the pipes. Are there aftermarket pipes available that resemble the stock ones? I like the high pipes and heat shields. I thought about that with the bars. maybe some flat tracker bars or something with bar end mirrors. What about the carbs. what can you tell me about the stock setup to make them better. I definitely want to run pods...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Flat track bars will be a bit wide I'd say. Consider a European bend (kinda like drag bars only wider) I'd keep the air box and leave the carbs alone though some here may recommend a jet kit. IMHO the stock set up works fine. These are pre EPA-mandated starvation jetting I believe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flat track bars will be a bit wide I'd say. Consider a European bend (kinda like drag bars only wider) I'd keep the air box and leave the carbs alone though some here may recommend a jet kit. IMHO the stock set up works fine. These are pre EPA-mandated starvation jetting I believe.
I'll look around for some, thanks. I will be leaving the carbs and airbox alone for now. maybe later down the road I will consider jetting and pods. I have a CB750 tank that I was going to knee dent for the 650. I may use that because it is pretty short in length. Any word on aftermarket pipes that resemble the stock setup? I can't seem to find any...

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'll look around for some, thanks. I will be leaving the carbs and airbox alone for now. maybe later down the road I will consider jetting and pods. I have a CB750 tank that I was going to knee dent for the 650. I may use that because it is pretty short in length. Any word on aftermarket pipes that resemble the stock setup? I can't seem to find any...
heres an ebay item for a set of stainless exhaust. Honda Scrambler Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes Fits All CL350 CB350 Models | eBay

spendy at $500 I'd say. There' heat shields and complete stock systems there too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts