Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm looking for my first motorcycle and I've narrowed it down to two bikes and I was hoping you guys could chime in with your opinions.

1. 1980 Honda CB650. 18k miles. The bike sat for 6 years, the owner put in fresh gas, oil, battery, and it still runs (very rough though). No title. $500 firm

2. 1979 Suzuki GS550e. 17k miles. Similar situation to the bike above...it sat for a while and still runs...just rough. $950.

I realize that its going to be almost impossible to decide which one is 'better' from my lack of description (and me still not actually riding either bike)...but the point is that the bikes are essentially in the same condition (although it looks like the gs has been taken care of better while sitting).

So all things equal, which bike would you say would be a better bike for a beginner rider (a short rider at that...im 5'7")? I'm mechanically inclined, and have a full workshop, so doing some work doesn't scare me. I prefer the looks of the gs, but spending almost $1k on a bike that runs rough doesn't exactly bode well with me (but then again, im a newbe...so what do i know).

Any input on the decision would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
950 for the gs is too much.

500 for the cb with no papers is too much.

id pick the gs over the cb though. but not that one.

jc

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Holymoly,
Please fill out your bio!!! It is very helpful for those that are trying to help you to know where you are and what you are about.
Joe is right about the prices, especially with no titles, although since we don't know where you are we can't give you any advice about how easy it may be to get a title or whether you really need one.(see, fill out your bio) Joe is wrong about the GS being better than the CB. The 79 GS550 is as generic as the CB and they are both the epitomy of UJMs. I could not recommend one over the other. They will both do what they are supposed to do just fine.

Ken

P.S. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Holymoly,
Please fill out your bio!!! It is very helpful for those that are trying to help you to know where you are and what you are about.
Joe is right about the prices, especially with no titles, although since we don't know where you are we can't give you any advice about how easy it may be to get a title or whether you really need one.(see, fill out your bio) Joe is wrong about the GS being better than the CB. The 79 GS550 is as generic as the CB and they are both the epitomy of UJMs. I could not recommend one over the other. They will both do what they are supposed to do just fine.

Ken

P.S. Where are you located?
apologies... i posted this as soon as i registered. i'm from philadelphia...ive actually been having a pretty hard time finding a suitable motorcycle. im just looking for something that needs a little work to get going (doesnt have to be pretty) and can be a suitable candidate for some cafe styling down the road.

edit: the gs actually does have a title. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you're in Philly, then Texy has a bike for you. Texy, sell this guy a bike.

Ken

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree with Joe about the GS. I'd prefer it but $950 is too much in the condition you describe. For that money you should get something you can just jump on and ride. Keep looking, you'll find something better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Talk to Tex, he probably has a deal for you.
As for the GS, i have a 450 right now, and now that it is running good its been a great bike. It just took alot of carb work to get it there. 950 is really pricey though, i have seen about 4 go in the Cleveland area for that, they were all in good shape and running strong. So just keep your eyes open, watch craigslist like a hawk, there are alot of deals to be had on there if you are patient.

·
Registered
22 Posts
shit i bought a 91 gs500e fo 200 with 6000 miles a couple of years back threw some mods on it and rode the piss out of it till the po-po caught me (no m1)not the first time!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I agree with joe...too much for all that crap. No papers then run, not walk, run!!!! in the opposite direction. PA is one of those states where the title has to be notarized when transferred, which means it is a bitch for paperwork.

bikes just fall out of the sky for me here in NY, you have to do the appropriate rain dance.

(in general the cb650 is more of a cruiser bike anyway - it is normally the better bike if we are talking about equal condition, but if your heart is set on making a huge mistake then I would go GS zook also).

if you do a search here I have talked several times about how to find bikes when you are new at this. It involves a mixture of craigslist, and actually going to shops and asking around and looking at their real life bulliten boards. Old bikes are usually owned by old guys and most of them can't figure out the internet for shit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts