Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this frame over the internet in a whim a few years back with little to no knowledge about its origins or history
the photo is from the original advertisement

the vendor would not give up the pipes the wheels

ended up the front end went in the trash some Suzuki bent and buckled rubbish

DSCN8249.JPG

engine is almost complete now running methanol mechanical injection hillborn and 40mm webber's for the street

front and rear ends are to be cbr954 front cbr600 rear and thats all sorted

ignition is via ARD magneto its been all put together and now pulled back down ONE MORE TIME ! for paint

frame is marked scorpion 01 and i believe it to of come from some brothers in Queensland the Turner bothers

81711213_3238730766142754_1401333634094333952_o.jpg

i have photos of the entire rebuild and will post as i go dont want to do a full reveal till its done !

DSCN8084.JPG

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I can't remember who pulled up at Broadford years ago with Hillborn injection on a CB750 to run in P5. Was it Glen Corrish perhaps? I don't recall now but it looked wicked.

It would be nice if those mechanical injectors and pump could be replaced with modern electronic injectors and driver and disguised if necessary. Maybe use a Microsquirt with 6 or 12 hole injectors for cleaner burn and more power.

Forks look like Suzuki GT750 75-77 models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep piss and dribble injection is a pain at best but we hope to run it on the salt lakes later so there with WOT it will be just dandy !
tank mods to lower it over frame with twin fuel cocks
DSCN8078.JPG
tank notched to clear 954 forks
DSCN8089.JPG

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

engine is almost complete now running methanol mechanical injection hillborn and 40mm webber's for the street

lol for the street! :cool:

To be totally honest
from the first time I seen your frame I thought it looked pretty skinny in the backbone trellis. :| because it appears to be half a trellis short.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol for the street! :cool:

To be totally honest
from the first time I seen your frame I thought it looked pretty skinny in the backbone trellis. :| because it appears to be half a trellis short.
yer the street he has a headlight and turn indicators and a sweet tail lamp !
DSCN8333.JPG

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Love the Peter Brock stickers on the tool chest. Do you have a Torana to go with them? Whatever happened to his race cars and the Alan Moffat Falcons ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Love the Peter Brock stickers on the tool chest. Do you have a Torana to go with them? Whatever happened to his race cars and the Alan Moffat Falcons ?
here is a link to a museum you will like >>> National Motor Racing Museum - Home

loads all over the place the cars that is and no Torana.......
but i have its big brother the HR "hell razor" ute
DSCN8104.JPG

here are the shitty mechanical injection pump brackets getting replaced and up graded
31564083_10156338005634334_36640851333480448_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
HR Ute brings back memories. First car I had in OZ was an HR 186 with 2 speed powerglide IIRC station wagon and when it lost top gear, it was time to let it go. I only went to Bathurst once as a spectator and it was insane - concrete walls right up to the side of the circuit, a 100+mph jump and Murray's corner where Ross Barrelli (sp?) died half way across the parking lot when his brakes failed was sensory overload. I could not imagine how brave riders were to race there back then. Boulden, Hansford, Sayle, Niel, Croz, Willing and so on. Those guys with virtually no padding in their race leathers, no airbags and carbon fiber boots and zero run off area or air fences.

Still not sure how they managed to fit their huge balls on a bike.

Remember seeing the Ford 1-2 on TV and I worked at Ford back then, so that was a happy day.

Now where were we? Oh yes, what fuel pressure does the old mechnanical pump generate and could it be upgraded with say a diesel pump or an early European auto pump to increase delivery pressure - or maybe it's enough already. A system with electrical opening and constant pressure in the rail has to be easier to control with pulse width.

At least Metho is pretty tolerant of air:fuel mixture ratios - as long as it's too much it's enough.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
things its upwards of 100psi but even thou its all set up that will need sorting so webbers will be on for start up
got more done on fame today here today's update pic
9541.jpeg

954.jpeg

·
Registered
48 Posts
From what I remember, Teazer, Rosco’s brakes didn’t just “fail”, the discs disintegrated because he had drilled too many holes in them in a weight-shearing effort. Sad loss, great bloke. Great looking build, btw. When are the salt flats runs, and where, Lake Eyre?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
From what I remember, Teazer, Rosco’s brakes didn’t just “fail”, the discs disintegrated because he had drilled too many holes in them in a weight-shearing effort....
How bad would that suck!
Somebody had a carbon fibre rear rim completely disintegrate at high speed, that would be equally bad!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I remember, Teazer, Rosco’s brakes didn’t just “fail”, the discs disintegrated because he had drilled too many holes in them in a weight-shearing effort. Sad loss, great bloke. Great looking build, btw. When are the salt flats runs, and where, Lake Eyre?
30th Annual Speed Week
Lake Gairdner South Australia
Monday 23rd March to Friday 27th March 2020

The DLRA conducts its annual Speed Week at Lake Gairdner in South Australia. It's straight line speed on "the big white dyno", as fast as you can go on a salt lake in the remote Australian outback. There is no setting like it anywhere in the world, it is a truly unique event in a spectacular location. There is an amazing range of cars, motorcycles and trucks dating from the turn of the century to modern day.
Spectators are welcome, but you need to be pretty much self sufficient.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
How bad would that suck!
Somebody had a carbon fibre rear rim completely disintegrate at high speed, that would be equally bad!
I had a mate who had a mild off on his CBR600 track bike - rebuilt the fairings and a few other things but either didn't notice or didn't think it would matter to replace the slightly bent front brake lever.

A few laps into his next outing he discovered the brake lever had disappeared....at the end of the straight!

The next rebuild was a bit more thorough....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
30th Annual Speed Week
Lake Gairdner South Australia
Monday 23rd March to Friday 27th March 2020

The DLRA conducts its annual Speed Week at Lake Gairdner in South Australia. It's straight line speed on "the big white dyno", as fast as you can go on a salt lake in the remote Australian outback. There is no setting like it anywhere in the world, it is a truly unique event in a spectacular location. There is an amazing range of cars, motorcycles and trucks dating from the turn of the century to modern day.
Spectators are welcome, but you need to be pretty much self sufficient.
Bonneville is VERY much like it, and that's where it all started, I seem to recall...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Engine is off at Soda blasters
body work primer applied
time to sort out the magneto
front rim and front chain sprocket at the welders
dam on Monday i have to go back to work in the real world !!!!

this ARD magneto is this a performance one or just a stock item not like a vertex in my chev ?

954.5.jpeg

954.3.jpeg

954.1.jpeg

im thinking it may just be off an old tractor ! edegamakate me people

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I think you need to inspect and service it just as if it came off an old tractor ;)

... remember how old distributor caps would crack and craze and make sparks fly all over the place inside the cap when it is really damp and wet!
was a huge problem once they started using aluminum instead of copper contacts :| Was always most apparent in the full dark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I think you need to inspect and service it just as if it came off an old tractor ;)

... remember how old distributor caps would crack and craze and make sparks fly all over the place inside the cap when it is really damp and wet!
was a huge problem once they started using aluminum instead of copper contacts :| Was always most apparent in the full dark.
Remeber fucking over old mate with a lead pencil draw a pentagram under his dizzy cap from terminal to terminal ......

View attachment 99965

the dash is cooming together this speedo i got from India
Tight ass i am but even the fact that i paid 28.00 aud for speco inc postage cable and axel gear drive could not mod it on to 954rr front wheel
So its back to ebay this time im going for the 85mm gps driven speedo for around 108 aud ,,, GPS driven ! yer baby

1 - 20 of 23 Posts