Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well pretty much complete. Still working on mirrors and maybe some turn signals. Also may make some jetting changes, need to get a few more miles on it before I make any changes.

Its not real bright and flashy but I kind of like it. I initially planned on painting all the white bits but just hand polished them a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats lovely man...
I love those old Kerker pipes..im having flashbacks to my 1975 model..Fastest 750 Honda i ever owned..would bury the speedo..did great wheelies..great job!Love the fairing too..got that Mad Max thing sorta kinda..or Dunstall..either way,nice!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the fact that you kept it old school looking which is what it is!
I love to see old bikes done up in the early to late 70's and not changed and yours reminds me of those bikes.

You must like that style also with the bullet fairing,emblems,grips,fork gators,colors etc. you chose.

Sometimes you see them just pulled out of a shed/barn after being there for 20+ years and it's like a Time Capsule of what was "cool" at the time they were still on the road.

I also like to see bikes that have been lucky enough too never have seen long term storage and stayed running as much as the next guy,but it's still neat to see an old one every now and then that hasn't been upgraded with the times so to speak.

And yes,nothing like the sound of a Kerker on a good running bike.
My buddy's KZ750LTD with a Kerker still sounds meaner that just about any bike out there even though it makes about 1/3 the H.P. of a new ZX-10!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Nice, the stock side covers almost seem out of place and I think I'd like to see all the body work one color....... but the fact that I'm only see in shades of gray makes my subjective opinion worth about a buck fiddy

really dig the avon clubman...... I'd like to have one ready for a bike I have here

let me know if that bike ever wants a career change and fancies the idea of becoming a stripper

oh...... that very skinny strut with rod end joints on both ends for the muffler really bothers me

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read-Titan fairing, Dick's Cycle West tank and seat.

Opinions, opinions, I like it just the way it is.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Love the tank, I spy koni shocks - I thought I was the last person on the planet that had a set on my bike. Nice....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fabulous job! If I might suggest...replace the stock tail light/plate bracket with something smaller. The 60's Honda brackets fit pretty well; you just have to wire up a ground.

The 70's Hondas all seemed to have big (dorky) tail light/plate assemblies - probably for visibility reasons. But in my opinion; they look out of place on a cafe custom.
Beth

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about ditching the fender all together but didn;t like that either. The nice thing about the taillight thats on there is that it fits.

I do agree though, smaller might be better but I think I'll keep it as is.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Read-Titan fairing........ well if that's what it's called it's a carbon copy of an Avon Clubman

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bret had posted this info on Avon and Read-Titan and others on the SOHC4 forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The facts are a little confusing to most people as many of the names have been used universally over the years. Dunstall, Rickman, Avon, Read-Titan, etc. are all names commonly used to describe Cafe fairings.
Paul Dunstall had his fiberglass products manufactured by Reg Curley.
Read Titan was a U.K. based motorcycle performance shop/stockist whose fairings were provided by Churchgate Mouldings.
Avon was a brand name used by Mitchenall Bros. Mouldings. Avon bodywork was used by the Rickman Bros. for their roadrace and motocross kits as well as through a variety of other stockists. Avon fairings were also available as factory options through Triumph and BSA dealers.
The Read Titan (Churchgate) and Rickman/Avon (Mitchenall) nosecone fairings are very similar, but have subtle differences. Being from different manufacturers, the windscreens and nosecones will not interchange.
Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ok....... does Avon have a fairing very similar to that one or are you telling me that all the fairings like that which has the squishy indent in the nose cone polycarbonate...... never were made by Avon?

The Rickman is similar but doesn't have the squishy nose cone as far as I've known.

I'm up for being schooled anytime, learn something most every day.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

pictures of pix but I'm thinking this one is actually similar yet different than yours

hate that bike got away right after it received shiny red imron

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
me too but my guess is Brett will know and I look forward to finding out for sure.

That commando was many years ago before digital camera's existed

The guy I got that fairing from told me it was an Avon Clubman and he had been around for quite some time before teaching me a thing or two

he could even honestly boast of having the honor of being lapped 4 times by Mike Hailwood on his Ducati while he plodding around Daytona's track on his Domi 88

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
dude, the fairing on his bike and the one in your picture-pictures look nothing alike.

...i'm just sayin'

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
oh but yes they do, and both use what appear to be nearly identical nose cones and even wind shields

I'll see if I can find some better pix

·
Registered
69 Posts
+1 for tossing the tail light/ fender. Get some trailer light thingy on the back of the tail, much better. And all the same color body would make it wonderful.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Why you ditch the kickstart ? [?][?][?]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts