Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am having an issue using the electric start for my bike. Just put a new battery in the bike and it starts with a kick everytime. Checked the majority of the wiring and it seems to be in order. When I hit the button I just hear a "click. click" from the solenoid but no start or turn over of any kind. I am new to these bikes so any help would be great. If it's the starter, how hard is that to swap out. It's a 72 CB 750. Any help would be cool.

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you charge the new battery once you poured the acid into the cells? If yes, then check the battery to make sure it is giving you enough juice. If yes, then check the wires and also check for corrosion. After all of that then I would look at the starter itself. I had the same problem with my 73 and it was a matter of getting and new battery, adding the acid, and putting it on the Battery Tender for the better part of a day. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, got the new battery, poured the acid and charged her up. Got 12.70V out of it everytime I tested. Left it on the Tender everytime I didnt ride the bike. Thinking the starter itself might just be the killer here. Thanks for any answers

*Demonic Designs*

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
fresh (new) battery on a full charge should be well over 13volts.

my racebike won't run worth a shit at 12v....that's all i got.

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
under the left side cover is a fuse panel. Check to see that one of those fuses is not grounding out on something. Those fuse panels go bad frequently on SOHC bikes, the plastic melts and the tines tend to move around. Try wiggling one a bit while hitting the starter and see if that works. While you are there check the connection from the solenoid (round thing also under the left side cover) to the starter. If not then try checking the button in the handlebar switch. The starter is under that little chrome cover under the carbs. One way to check it is to put power directly to it from another battery (careful) and see if you can get it to turn over that way.

Edit: This is Proteal's old bike right? I am not sure he left the starter in place. On a 750 all electrical passes through the starter solenoid and some guys when they pull the starter will leave the solenoid in place to avoid having to bypass it. I would check with him also.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 11 2007 07:32:11 AM

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I'll be tearing into those electricals today. Let me get this Battery on another charger too.

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seems to be the starter itself that took a crap. gonna be replacing it

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took tnat cover off and saw the set bolts. Other than that has to get plugged back in right? Hope this will eb the end of it all. other than that I got some odds and ends all fixed up. loving the bike

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I'd check the manual, I am pretty sure there is a starter clutch in there. I am junt not sure if it come off the starter before or after you pull the starter from the cases.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I am going to be investing in a manul. Which I should have done anyway. Got one for my ZR250 when I picked that project up as well. Right now this is the one and only thing going on with the bike. other than that it's really amazing.

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The manual helps a lot, but it looks like I am back to squeare one. I know the starter relay is working. I got a new starter and hooked it up. Also does not spin when the button is engaged.

*Demonic Designs*

·
Registered
147 Posts
The button is fucked on my cb750 too. I know the wiring works though so I am planning on going to radio shack and getting a temp for about $4.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thinking you guys might be right. Gonna get a new button and give it a shot. just such an easy fix so we'll see

*Demonic Designs*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts