Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues adjusting my CB750K5 floats. I am fairly sure this is one of the major hurdles for me to get the bike tuned right.

The floats have been jacked around by prior owners. They are all bent a little different. The tabs that press on the float needle are all a little different. When I set them to the right height, they all fill the bowls differently.

I don't know what the original setting was for these. My thought is that I should just buy some new floats, but I can't find any.

Does anyone know a source for floats for the CB750K5? Or have any other ideas?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
honda....I have ordered floats for my K5 from both the dealer and hondaparts-direct.com. You could probably get them from z1enterprises also. there are a million places on line and brick an mortar where you can get these things.

seriously, why are you having problems finding parts for a bike that the dealers still have parts and can order them? are you just not keeping tabs on where to order this stuff? Honda cb750 parts are as common as dirt....if you can't find this stuff you just ain't trying. Any individual carb hard parts I strongly urge you to buy honda OEM

before you throw out your old floats - test them. Get a large cup of water (I have an old 64 oz 7-11 cup that I use) and throw the floats in the cup. wait 10 minutes. Any that sink need to be replaced and cannot be saved. Then visually inspect them. If they are the black plastic/rubber style and are missing chunks, throw them out. If the are the brass style, you may be able to solder a repair but it might be outside your mechanical ability.

Float height on a cb750K5 is 26mm for the cb750. this is measured from the gasket surface to the top of the float. the float should be set so that the needle valve is closed but the spring loaded plunger on the back of it is not compressed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geeto,

I have been keeping tabs on the places that I have been ordering parts from. Places like Old Bike Barn, Parts and More, etc. None of them have floats.

I had not tried my dealer because they suck to deal with. It took weeks and weeks for them to get my battery in. Finally I cancled the order and found one online for cheaper and quicker.

I'll test the floats. The issue I had identified was that the tabs had been messed with so many times they are all different. I may not be clearly explaining the problem.

If hondaparts-direct doean't have them, I'll try the dealer again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geeto,
I had not seen the hondaparts-direct site before. I just went there and that is a way better place for parts than the places I had been finding them. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
sucks that your dealer is suck a prick...I have one near me that is decent and the other three honda dealers have pretty much chased away my business.

I order from royayers sometimes too, though is is more for suzuki parts: http://www.ronayers.com/

If you are operating without the proper float specs...then you are really not doing anything to correct what previous people working on the bike have done. The tabs to adjust float height were probably monkeyed with by someone with no expirence and just wanted the carbs to stop leaking. while you have the floats out for testing, take a look at the float needle. It it has a well worn ring in the point then it won't seal and there is no amount of float height adjusting will save it.

Now to adjust float height - To take the flaot bowl off and inspect the carbs. Make sure the float needle is free moving including the plunger on the back. Then you turn the carb rack on its side and move the float so that the needle is closed but the plunger is not pressed in. The distance from the float bowl gasket surface to the bottom of the float (if the carbs were in normal position) should be 26mm. If it is not then adjust the tab until you have 26mm.

Any clymer, haynes, or honda manual should be able to walk you through this.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
More on float needles - I had rebuilt my carbs this winter with new carb parts. I had one carb that leaked like and old man in a nursing home. My float levels were set correct I moved the float needle from one carb to another and that carb started leaking. So I re-installed one of my old float needles and the problem was corrected. Moral of the story - just because the float needles are new don't make them good.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bmartin

More on float needles - I had rebuilt my carbs this winter with new carb parts. I had one carb that leaked like and old man in a nursing home. My float levels were set correct I moved the float needle from one carb to another and that carb started leaking. So I re-installed one of my old float needles and the problem was corrected. Moral of the story - just because the float needles are new don't make them good.
Also, only buy honda needles. From my own personal expirence those found in the K&L or the Keyster carb kits have been way out of spec. I rebuilt my 550 carbs yars ago with a keyster kit and they leaked like a siv. Joe managed to get one of those cheapie kits to work but joe is magic....

anyway, I reuse the stock honda hard parts as much as I can - only when they are totally worn do I replace them. This is the advantage in being able to get honda carb parts from honda piecemeal, if I only need one needle or float I do not have to buy 3 jets, and other garbage that I don't need to get it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You are so on with this last posting. The rebuild kit I purchased were keyster's and I didn't get any deals. Next time it's off to the honda gods for these type of parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts