Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Looks like he hosed it down and took pics while it was wet in order to make it look nicer

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd say $500 is a reasonable risk to take. I'm sure you could at the very least get your money back out of it

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
The 19/18 sets for a K are what is worth $1000. The F sets, while more rare, do not bring that kind of money.
Also the 16 rear is less then worthless.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
The 19/18 sets for a K are what is worth $1000. The F sets, while more rare, do not bring that kind of money.
Also the 16 rear is less then worthless.
considering that it is a "comstar" bike that doesn't have comstars, I betcha you could do a full tune up, upgrade the calipers for cheap, and sell it on it a month for twice what you have in it.

Also, if you do pick it up, the guides may not have worn yet so see if it smokes. If it does then it's a project, but if it doesn't then you may have some time. It will need them eventually but that may be the next owners problem.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
I agree, it is a great base to do something cool with and probably even make some money. Just THOSE wheels are not worth $1000

The bike is worth more then $500 for sure.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tune up?

Motor Stuck From Sitting for Over 21 Years..
In my experience, in an ad, "runs good" = needs a tune up, "ran when parked" = needs a rebuild, "motor stuck" = engine grenaded.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Tune up?

In my experience, in an ad, "runs good" = needs a tune up, "ran when parked" = needs a rebuild, "motor stuck" = engine grenaded.
Have you seen my thread where I got a stuck cb750 engine that hadn't run since 1990 to run? It all depends on what the issue is.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
The important factor is YOU. Do YOU have the skills to diagnose and fix a bike that is not running 100%.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agreed. I guess I just don't look at craigslist ads with my rose colored glasses on. The last "stuck motor" I looked at was a 360 with a windowed block. It might take nothing more than some Marvel Mystery oil and rocking back and forth, but in my experience people trying to sell stuff usually provide better than the best case scenario in their ad. Worth a look, for sure, especially if, as he says, the title is clean.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guy that has the bike called me this morning. I told him that his phone was going to blow up and it has.
Problem is everyone wants to trade something. He called me this morning and said I could have it for $400.
Truth is I just don't have the room or time for it right now. I have a place I can keep it for a while but I've just got
too much going on right now.

If anyone is interested I would be willing to go get the bike and hold it for you. I know the Lesters aren't as desireable
because of the 16 inch rear but they are still probably worth the $400 it would cost to get the bike.

Yeah, the engine could be toast, but maybe not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts