Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, im looking at buying a 1976 CB750 super sport. the guy has the title it is in by no means mint condition. he also mentioned that there were two different blocks, an aluminum block and a black block. he said the black block was more rare. anyone know if there is truth to this??? the tank has no rust in it. it runs but there are some ignition issues. the locking lid on the gas tank that hides the gas cap is missing. it is lime green with a white pin stripe and has no clear coat left on it. the seat is ripped but everything seems to be there. what would you offer this guy for the bike??? and is there any truth behind the "special black block"???

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't believe there is anything to a "special black block" I think different years CB750F had painted VS bare engines. I think the 78 F2 had a black engine, ? The pint is definitely not stock 76 was either yellow or maybe red. I would igure that you are going to have to put a fair amount of money into this one to get it to even close to where you want, so I wouldn't go over $500.

Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply. the rims are also mis matched and the rear rim looks like it might be a 78 "star" style rim which makes me think that it might just be a 78. is there any way to tell if it is infact a 78?? anything in the VIN that i can look for?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the guy wouldnt come off of 1000 dollars. the thing is in an OK state. it would take a good amount of work to get it running properly. apparently he bought the thing for 1000 and put 500 into it to have the rear master cylinder rebuilt and to fix the damage that he caused when he dropped the bike. he said that he wanted at least 1000 to let it go. ohh well ill keep looking.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think '76 cb750f came in blue, also. Perhaps. Can't say for sure. But lime green? Never.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
All cb750 engines are aluminum. However 1977-1978 cb750Fs (Fs only) came painted black. The engines are indeed special as these are the years that run the big valve heads and the larger rear countershaft. They are not uber rare since they made thousands upon thousands of them (I own two) and they are not super expensive. They are rarer these days because the big valve heads tended to eat the valve guides and usually the bike was junked or scrapped when that happened as it is an expensive fix. If it has a black engine and comstar mag rims (star patterend steel centers riveted to aluminum rims) then it is a 1977-78. They are the fastest cb750s and also the second cheapest.

PS - you still need to fill out your location in your bio.

They made supersports from 1975 to 1978. The 1975 colors were candy saphire blue and candy sunrise flake metallic. The 1976 colors were candy anteres red and sulfur yellow. The 1977-78 colors were black and alpha red. Only the flake sunrise metallic had white pinstripes seperated with a black center stripe. The blue was known to fade to green because it was a candy but the color combo def sounds like a repaint.

Honestly $1000 for a cb750 you can hear run is not outrageous these days. These motors are stone simple so if you are doing the work yourself it isn't hard to tune them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts