Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a steering damper important on a CB750? do they make any bolt on kits to istall one? if so who sells them and where do you buy it?
what are some of your recomendations and opioions?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Steering dampners are more important on the K bikes than the F. The F has increased rake so it is slightly more stable. Still a dampner is not a bad idea, since a cb750 is kinda known for head shake.

The honda factory triple trees have the hole already for a dampner to mount to, it just needs to be drilled and tapped. For the frame mount there are plenty of clamp mounts you can use to mount a generic dampner.

I know that someone mentioned bolt on kits on the SOHC4 board a while back, I just can't remember where and am too lazy to do a search.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
the cheapish, 7 position, Daytona dampers by Shindy come with hardware that bolts right into the honda lower clamp. you can then weld a mount to the frame or use a damper fork clamp (also from shindy) to attach to a frame downtube. it's what i've done on my 350.

oh, do a search for daytona/shindy/steering damper....you'll find several sources.

-tt

Edited by - ttilghman on Jan 03 2008 10:32:41 AM

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you have a frame mounted fairing on your bike, you could hide it behind the fairing. This one is mounted to the fairing blade and to the left fork tube. This keeps it in easy reach at any time and doesnt interfere with anything. And I dont have to worry about someone walking by and hitting it and bending the rod.
I went with a GL 1000 front end. The bottom clamp doesnt have the threaded hole for the damper and my oil cooler was also in the way of mounting it below the bottom clamp.
There was a thread on SOHC where some people just used an exhaust clamp to mount the frame end to the bike (I think the thread was SW's Tracey bike). Looks less than satisfactory (to me).
DG

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the sohc topic. it didnt seem to work with the pipe braket. i see some "builit" fork mounts and different dampers but there doesnt seem to be anyone that has a "kit" with it all together in one shot. i would much rather bolt the damper on but if i need to i will weld it. down the line the bike might have a full fairing but not right now. and there will be an oil cooler too.
will the short ones off a modern superbike work? how do i know it has enough travel to work?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Years ago, I had a cast aluminum frame bracket for the steering damper (CB K stock fork and frame). It was a 2 peice mount. It worked fine (with the same style damper-above)and a Lockhart oil cooler, but when I changed the oil cooler, it hit and had to be removed(sold).I ended up incorporating the damper mount with the oil cooler mount (The oil cooler mount was extended on the damper side to mount- my oil cooler was clamped to the downtubes on both sides).
Finding a complete bolt on kit for the CB may be close to impossible because of the many variations that could be had (different oil coolers and who knows what).
DG

·
Registered
23,303 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
...and here's the shindy fork clamp that i mounted to my frame downtube instead.

http://shindypro.com/catalog/each_q_ptype.key19.html

and yeah, you'll still have to measure your length and throw at your mounting points to get the right size. and make sure you have clearance on the back side for the rod when you're at full compression...mine just clears the fins on my engine, then dips in between the two cylinders.

good luck-
tt

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
on the 750s, if you use the hole drilled by honda in the lower triple clamp for a dampner attachment, the dampner should angle slightly out and clear everything. still have to measure length.

the best way to measure length is from the hole in the triple clamp to the frame while the front wheel is turned left and then look for the closest dampner in lenght without going under. usually 1 inch over is ok.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've yet to feel any kind of head shake on any of my cb's. I did purchase a Damper off ebay for about 60 dollars. I'll be using the damper on my turbo project. The damper can be mounted from the frame to either the front fork (with a special clamp) or under the triple tree. I've never ridden a bike with a damper so I'm kind of looking forward to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I was going to yell at you for resurrecting a 5 year old thread......but that actually was pretty useful information. So...thanks!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I like to use stock GSXR dampers that I get off e-bay for $10 or so. There are millions of them on there and I just make lowball offers on several of them and get the ones I win. I try to keep a couple around at all times, cause I stick them on everything I own, sooner or later. I don't feel them at all when I am doing normal riding, but since I have a tendency to raise the rear end to gain ground clearance and to quicken steering on most of my stuff, the damper takes away the squirrelly feeling that some bikes have at highway speeds, especially on rain grooves. I have used the GSXR dampers on some smaller lighter racebikes, but a better quality adjustable damper is more warranted there. The GSXR damper has a bleed screw in it, so you could also try heavier or lighter oil in one to meet your particular needs. I haven't done that yet, but I have been meaning to try it for fun.

Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts