Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this kinda skirts the cafe racer, but there are some elements to it. Here's what I have:

here's what I'm trying to accomplish (photoshop)

Problem is, I'm not 100% sure what tire size to order. Here are my choices:

For the front tires it's either:
1. 325-19" (diameter - 27" cross section 3.89") or
2. 400-10" (diameter - 27.59" cross section - 4.25")

For the rears it's:
1. 350-18 (diameter - 26.44" cross section - 4.05")
2. 400-18 (diameter - 26.57" cross section - 4.25")
3. 450-18 " (diameter - 27.4" cross section - 4.84")

Seems like those rims are 2.5" - 3" or so ??

Here's some pics of the pics that I'm stealing from:

Saw those on a Japanese website. http://www.bratstyle.com/
Problem is - everything is in Japanese. Anybody here able to read Japanese ??

Anyone able to make a guess as to what size tires & wheels those are ?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey freind, I like your taste in bikes. I really like the customs the Japanese are putting out as well.

Althought I dont know if I have the answer specifically to your question, I think I can help point you in the right direction. Coker tire, if I remember correctly, owns the molds to the Firestone tires on those bikes, so you can only get them from Coker (http://store.coker.com/home.php) .

I believe this is the tire, but the bike builders just filled in the lettering with a paint pen:

Heres the link to the the motorcycle tires: http://store.coker.com/cat/motorcycle-bicycle-scooter-tires/

Again, I dont know how accurate, or up-to-date, my info is, but I hope it helps.

Laurence

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I'll be getting them from Coker. Those sizes listed above are my only choices. I'm starting to think that they are both he 4.00 width. Just trying to nail down the rim sizes and tire size.

If only I could read Japanese.....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
those vintage ribbed tires suck dog poo even with modern rubber compound

I had some on on of my old rides because "they looked right" and I hated them so much I did as many hot laps around Riverview Speedway as I could and did so until they were terminal and completely ruined

balloon tires, which those are, modern tread or not, on anything that alleges to be a racer suck even on the rear and are just plain stupid on the front

but I guess the Japanese want to be Kano and Kano want to copy Japanese

funny how times change

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
4.0 x 19" front, 4.5 x 18" rear. those are what i put on my xs and it also happens to be the smallest you can find those tires in.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ride that XS much in the rain or even on the interstate while they catch every rain groove on the highway?

I saw a "cool" japanese build that actually used the tri-ribbed tires

the ones with the HUGE three large ribs and are found on the front of farm tractors

and those are some really heavy tires

no doubt it was all but unrideable

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
i don't plan to ride it in the rain. it very well may be the worst handling bike ever created too. None of those bratstyle bikes or pretty much anything else built for looks could handle all that well. but i'm okay with that.
greenstreet, don't do anything to that bike you can't undo. what is it? '73? looks like its been taken care of pretty well and could be worth a good bit.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
how it seems to me is that many people "building" seem quite content to do something purely in the name of aesthetics, happy with the results being nearly useless, happier if it's outrageously useless

but damn a bike I've built if I can't ride and enjoy it

rain or shine

somebody showed me a picture of a really retarded bobber a while back that I swear had the exhaust pipe ends exiting right in the riders face

unless their face was located somewhere different than most other humans

it was really weird from one end to the other but really a dumb bike

I'm thinking a bunch of those guys in japan really don't ride much and really don't have many places to go even if they wanted to

that orange one really is one very clean bike

as hypocritical as it sounds

I wouldn't touch a nut or bolt on it

I'd park it in my living room waiting for it to be valuable and find a running junker to whack on

probably even if the paint wasn't original but for sure if it is

I like the second one too but it would have to get some modern treaded tires to make it a useful rider

would 18" Super Venoms look so bad fore and aft on that bike?

I sure don't think so and it would be a huge step forward if a guy wanted to ride it more than just off a trailer and into the show ring

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I run a little bigger front tire on my cb750 (3.50 X 19) and a 4.25 X 18 on the rear. The front tire really fills in the front fender and still handles pretty well on the street. I have custom mag wheels on my bike, but I believe these tire sizes should fit on standard rims.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pampadori, would you happen to have any photos of your XS ? Those are the sizes I was leaning towards. Rim widths on your XS ? Any chance to get some actual tire measurements...width, diameter etc.

Hackasaw, where do I start....that bike photographs much cleaner than it really is. While it does run like a champ (finally) I have done a BUNCH of cleaning & polishing on it. The wiring harness is on it's last legs, the paint is acutally rattle can that I was doing color tests with....looks pretty good at 5ft. The stock pipes, while they do look great, are rusting through along the bottom seams. I have thought a bunch about leaving it alone, but that's just not in my nature. Rest assured it won't be a trailer queen, I ride to work everyday (that it doesn't rain) yep I'm a fair weather rider, but I do put some good miles on my bikes. So it might might make it to the shows here and there, but there will be some dirt on it. This bike is for "racing" from cafe to cafe - or in my case bar to bar, mainly just for fun.

I do, however, like your idea of keeping it in my living room. Just gotta sneak it in there when my wife isn't looking.;)

Trefmawr, thanks for those links - I'll give them a try

bmartin '69 & 71...those are the ones to keep in the living room....

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
cut it and put some good tires on it!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Why not use some good 18" tires sized correctly for the bike and emulate the fat tire look by painting, powdercoating, or anodizing the rims black? Use some old school flanged rims and you'll add at least an inch to the assembly without fucking up your handling...

Jim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man.....I guess you guys really don't like that style. You'd think those tires would render that bike completely un-ridealbe. Do those tire REALLY handle that bad ? There is alot of them around. C'mon guys...this bike, along with 95% of the bikes on here isn't a race bike. It's for riding/cruising. As far as calling me a poser.....I'd like to think we could all rise above name calling;)
I put more than 12,000 miles on my bikes last year...I call myself a rider.

Oh well, to each their own.

·
Registered
699 Posts
well man, you have to realize that this place is cafeRACER.net. i like the style bike you are going after, i think it looks really cool, but its not a cafe type bike at all. it is more bobber. cafebobber.net? build what you want man, so what if people here call your project useless, they aren't the ones riding it. hell, hack calls my bike a chopper, but its only because he wishes it was his so bad. cool bike in my opinion, but with the riding position you are going to be in i'm guessing you arent looking to make your chicken strips narrower, and you stated it is not going to be an all weather bike...so buy those tires, love what you built but most of all realize that this is mainly a place for old racer styled bikes.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Toots, I call your bike a chopper because it is. Now hurry up and get tired of it. I'll leave the light on for ya.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nothing wrong with the big fat tire look - sort of retro early harley. I thought I was breaking rules by putting on my 3.50 tire on the front of my cb. If your hell bent on the fat look - go for it. If your riding tons of miles - you may want some sort of front fender to keep the wet off your face.

As far as keeping my 69 pieces off the road - they have been hibernating in storage since 1985 which was no fun during riding season. Keeping them in hibernation was destroying them - so it's better to keep them on the road in ride condition.

Screw what anyone thinks - Go for it and keep us posted..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I kinda knew I was on the wrong end of the "cafe racer" style, but I figured we all like hacking up perfectly good vintage bikes to our liking. I will keep pics coming as I build. Thanks for the cafebobber link, I'll check it out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts