Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
I love building old motorcycles and working on them i have always rode old bikes. The kids at school always make fun of what i ride. They all ride new bikes would it be posible to build a cb750 that could take a r6?
No....

I have a friend who raced cb750s for 20 years. His garage looks like Russ Collins took a shit on every shelf (points for the people who know who russ collins is). At one point he had cb750 drag bike that ran 9's. this is probably about the fastest I have ever heard a single motored N/A cb750 go. It was bored to 1036ccs, ran race gas (actually nitro) had a dedicated chassis, was maximized fof straight line, and was no where even close to street legal. Also it took all of a two lane road to make a u-turn. Cycle world managed to take a brand new R6 and with a couple of ratcheing tie downs and some dropped dogbones managed to go 9's with a street legal and registered R6.

I have heard about cycle ex's calims and that is for crank HP, somehow a lot more hp will get lost in the cb750's gearbox on it's way to the rear wheel, that is if the cb750 gearbox could handle the power (doubtful). The biggest thing to consider is that a stock cb750 overheats in traffic, a bored cb750 will have a complete meltdown in traffic if stuck long enough. An R6 will sit and idle all day long.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
Everybody who knows me knows I eat, sleep, and crap cb750s (the 77-78 K bikes are the hardest to pass). Currently I have 6 bikes from early K's to dunstall Super Sports. I have had or ridden most of the hot setups out there. The point of a cb750 is nolonger to be the fastest baddest muthafucker on the planet, there is something else that the bike delivers that a new r6 or r1 cannot and that is a raw riding expirence.

I have a 1986 ninja 1000R and at 100mph on the slab that bike is boring. It feels stable, sure, the wind isn't even that bad, it is just really boring. On the highway with the cb750 at 80mph the bike is shaking, the engine is scraming at 5grand, it feels at any second as if it could pitch you into a tank slapper. At 80mph you feel like you are going for the land speed record. At 100mph you feel like you are cheating death. It is those feelings, that absolute raw edge that embodies the spirit a cafe racer, the soul a new bike is born without.

The difference between a cb750 and an r6 is the difference between a WWI spad, and an F16. Sure the F16 pilot can fly faster and harder, but only the Spad pilot is truely cheating death in his open cockpit rickety contraption.

The rider will make a difference to a certain point. I have a friend with a new R1. He doesn't know how to push the bike around curves and the chicken stripes on his tires are a mile wide. He gets pissed wheneve he hears my centerstand scraping behind him because he knows I am right on his ass in a curve. I have even managed to pass him on a curve a few times on my 75 Q-ship. However once we get a straight all he has to do is wick it up and he is gone and it takes me miles to catch him again. Unrestricted his bike will do 190mph, mine will do 110mph. If I am doing 2 miles a minute (say I got a good tailwind and am pushing 120mph) he is doing 3 miles a minute. in 2 minutes of running flat out he is 2 miles ahead of me. That is the magic of a new sport bike: Any Tom, Dick, and Harry can throw a leg over and go this speed, all you have to do is pony up the dosh for a power commander and tuck behind the fairing.

Edited by - Geeto67 on Apr 28 2006 1:27:20 PM

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
What's a Q-ship? Your Cb will only do 110mph? Is it stock? I'm 6'2" and weigh 210, and tucked down as far as I can, I've had my '75 going 120mph. All it had at the time was aftermarket pipes and clubmans(and some lightening). It also has over 40,000 miles. I don't know, maybe my speedo's off. Jimmy
I have had my bike up to 120, but it takes a really long time to get there (more often I run out of road before it happens). I can get to 110 ok but that last 10 are like climbing everest. I am also 6'5" and 280lbs which is basically like two normal people riding 2 up on a cb750. I have no idea how many miles are on the bike but she is still strong. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 30K, but I put 20 K on here since I have owned it.

A q-ship is a Bike or car that looks stock but isn't. It comes from gunships during WWII that would cruise around disguised as merchant ships. I have a few little tweaks to my cb and she runs as good as an early cb750 acceleration wise.

BTW, I also happen to ride kawi triples and I can tell you they are great bikes but are definatly not commuter bikes. Owning them is like owning a brit bike but faster. There is a Guy in upstate NY who can get 120 rwhp out of a pump gas street motor, but a stock frame may not keep up with that.

The best 70's two strokes for daily riding are the suzukis (I really like my T500, but the GTs are actually better), they are dead reliable and still give you that old two stroke feel with a little less vibration (they are rubber mounted).

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
What's a Q-ship? Your Cb will only do 110mph? Is it stock? I'm 6'2" and weigh 210, and tucked down as far as I can, I've had my '75 going 120mph. All it had at the time was aftermarket pipes and clubmans(and some lightening). It also has over 40,000 miles. I don't know, maybe my speedo's off. Jimmy
I have had my bike up to 120, but it takes a really long time to get there (more often I run out of road before it happens). I can get to 110 ok but that last 10 are like climbing everest. I am also 6'5" and 280lbs which is basically like two normal people riding 2 up on a cb750. I have no idea how many miles are on the bike but she is still strong. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 30K, but I put 20 K on here since I have owned it.

A q-ship is a Bike or car that looks stock but isn't. It comes from gunships during WWII that would cruise around disguised as merchant ships. I have a few little tweaks to my cb and she runs as good as an early cb750 acceleration wise.

BTW, I also happen to ride kawi triples and I can tell you they are great bikes but are definatly not commuter bikes. Owning them is like owning a brit bike but faster. There is a Guy in upstate NY who can get 120 rwhp out of a pump gas street motor, but a stock frame may not keep up with that.

The best 70's two strokes for daily riding are the suzukis (I really like my T500, but the GTs are actually better), they are dead reliable and still give you that old two stroke feel with a little less vibration (they are rubber mounted).

· Registered
26,142 Posts
I have a hot h1 dragbike that can keep up with a modern sport bike. Then again it is a two stroke, makes close to 90 hp and is close to the 300lbs mark. Oh and it also has a car tire slick on the back.

Seriously, an h2 in an h1 frame with some major lightening mods and a hotted up motor will keep up with newer sport bikes, it is all about getting the power to weight ratio the same. However, an h2 triple will pretty much be unrideable by any novice once you approach the 100hp mark. Also they are not cheap these days, a good condition h2 sells for more than a new r1. The h2 will not keep up with it on the twisties, the chassis is just too antiquated.

You wanna build a new bike basher here are my suggestions:

- Fzr4/6: The fzr400 was made from 1988 to 1990 in this country and is all aluminum. The fzr600 is the same bike but the frame and swinger are steel. the 400 weighs about 340lbs stock, and there have been examples of people getting them under 300lbs wet in street trim. An fzr600 motor is a direct bolt on (except for the airbox which needs to be modded) and will make 90hp with some basic tuning. A yzf600 motor makes over 100 but requires some machining to the case mounts, and an r6 will make 120hp and requires a custom motor spacer. 120 lbs, 300lbs, sounds wicked fast and tons of fun. If you are savy you can build one for around $2500.

- rd350/400 or T500 in a ninja 250 frame. The ninja 250 is small, light, and super confy to ride and handles probably the best of any bike in the kawasaki stable. It is also hella light and has a rear rim size on par with most 70's bikes. Take a two stroke parallel twin engine like and rd350/400 or t500 and put it in there. The bike no longer needs all the liquid cooling accesories and you can drop the weight of the bike into the 200lbs range with some creative weight reduction. Even the stock 40+ hp of a T500 or Rd motor will ahev no problem pushing this little road rocket to warp speed quickly. Keep the bodywork and you may even see 150mph. Another bike you can build for sub $3000.

- H1/H2 in an s3 frame. The s3 triple was by far the best handeling triple made, and stock they were just as fast as their big brother 500s. However that is largely due to the 500s heavy frame. Take the h1 motor and stick it in a lighter frame and you'll have a nice little vintage roadster. Stick an h2 motor in there and you'll have a bike that will leave skidmarks in your shorts everywhere you go. No engine parts are available for the s3 so finding a clean base with a blown motor will not be hard to find, finding an h1 engine is easy enough, but finding an h2 motor these days can be trickey.

-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.