Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
The easiest way to do it is with the Moto Synthesis conversion rings, but there's a lot of questions to the safety and reliability of the system. It's been around long enough that maybe they've proven worthy.

Otherwise, you basically need to convert the entire front end (forks and all) to early GL spoke or (possibly) 75/76 F1. The rotors and bolt patterns for your wheel doesn't match the earlier versions. IIRC, the 75/76 F1 rear should bolt right up.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
there is no "straight swap" for the wheels themselves - the pinch point are the brakes so those will have to be changed as well, and unfortunately all options are a downgrade in brake tech. There is one 1979-1982 K bike wheel that is spoked and can use the F2 brake setup, but it is a single disc only wheel and the hub has no flange for you to bolt a second disc.

Honestly, spoke wheels are for hipsters anyway. What you need to do is embrace the cool period mag wheel of the era. For instance, most interceptors have either boomerang comstars or a split three spoke that is a direct bolt on. Also you will want to do the 1981-82 dual piston caliper brake upgrade. there is also an interceptor wheel that looks like a period correct dymag three spoke. I think the VF1000R star of david wheels are a bolt on as well but the front is a 16" on those bikes.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Cx500 turrrrrrbbbbbooooo wheels...

Won't work but look cool as hell
Front works fine, it's the rear that won't fit. Fortunately, those are called boomerang comstars and came on interceptors and DOHC cb750s pretty much everywhere but here. Seriously, I bought a set out of mexico two years ago.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
That's Borrani. Did you think the company that supplied Ferrari for all those years was going to be cheap?
Not at all, but I just question the expense of what is basically a look. There are just too many good options for forks/brakes improvements at that price point that come with cool/interesting wheels, and let's not forget at 1100 euros you are spending almost what the bike is worth just to have spoked wheels. That seems just crazy town to me.

But somebody is paying it, because it is being made/sold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts