Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the scoop on tires for early CB750's? I need one and I'm thinkin' about getting the fattest one I can without modifying the hell outta my rear end and would'nt rub against my rear fender/swingarm. I've seen some guys that have CBR tires on their 750's but me thinks that looks ridiculous. Would I need a new rim (a 16")? Or not? And who's the best to go to in the NYC area?

Touraloualay...
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
453 Posts
i use a 120/90/18. i'm told you can go as large as a 150 without rubbing on MOST cb750s. 140 is a safe maximum.dont buy cheap tires, spend the money on something decent, bridgestone are what i've used on all my bikes, michelin is another good all around street tire.

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the info.... is that with a stock wheel? And what do the numbers mean? Yes Bridgestones sounds sweet or maybe some Dunlops too!

Touraloualay...
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
130/18 is about the widest you can go on a stock rim. If you relace your rear rim and ditch your chain guard you can get to 150 before you start to rub the swingarm (some late bikes 160, and 1978s 180). most guys doing cbr rear rims use 160. Guyes used to relace honda hubs to harley rims for that fat sidewall dragster look and also because it makes the overall diameter of the setup small enough to avoid any rubbing issues with a slightly fatter tire. you can kinda push 140 with a stock rim but it may too wide and give you pencil eraser distortion feel as you ride hard in the turns.

most motorcycle tire sizes are metric (e.g 130/45/18) and the 130, 120, 140 etc... refers to the width of the tire. There is a middle number that refers to the sidewall size, and the last number is the rim size.

stock rear cb750 wheel is an 18" diameter, which makes it a little hard to get good sized tires.

I ride a '75 K almost everywhere and I am of the opinion that you can't beat the metzler lazertecs for these bikes - but they are about the most expensive tire you can get (you get your money's worth). Avon venoms are also good, as are bridgestones (like the bt45) and conti.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts