Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a make and model of the smallest battery that works for the 750K5?

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's not a simple question.

Anything 12v will work - what you need to think about is AH. The standard was something in the neighborhood of 14 amp hours. You won't find anything small with that much power. However, you can find fairly small batteries in the realm of 8AH that will probably run your bike fine, at least during the daytime.

I ran my CB450 on a 2.6 AH battery that worked fine during the day (with minor wiring modifications to run at full charging capacity with the headlight off) - however, it barely ran at night. I went up to 6 AH and ran with no problems, though my bike is rated for 12.

Check out Interstate... they have lots of cheap SLAs that will work. For example:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...Nu=Part+Number&Ns=product+Type|0||Rank|1&js=1

The best thing about these batteries is they'll work in any angle, making it much easier to find somewhere to stuff it.

A

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alex,
Do you think a 12v 12ah would work? When you say "run fine in the daytime" do you mean the light would not be on at all or just not very bright?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd be surprised if 12AH didn't run your bike perfectly normally, even with a headlight on at night. You should consider the kind of riding you do. If you live in an area with heavy traffic (i.e. you're likely to be idling your bike at 1.5 for an hour at night), you might want to get something BIGGER than the stock 14AH battery. On the other hand, if you spend most of your time on the highway at 6K, you'd likely do fine with 8-10 AH.

As snorkelfork recently pointed out to me, AGM batteries are another option - twice as expensive, but smaller even than SLAs.

A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts