Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i have had to change tanks on my CB900 build - the bike is an 1981 model, the replacement tank is off a 1980 bike. The Petcock sizes are different. The 1981 tank is 18mm with an 8mm fuel line, the new tank is 16mm i think (an old 16 mm petcock i have fits it) but i can only find 16mm petcocks with 6mm fuel lines.

if anyone can help me find the right size petcock i would be eternally grateful - I have checked ebay, Cnsml and partzilla but cannot find what i need. I can find petcocks with the right dimensions for guzzis and ducatis - will these work?

thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you used partsfish.com yet? They're showing that your petcock (16950-438-305) is also used on the 1979 and 1980 CB750F models. It might help if you broaden your search terms to include those models on ebay or other websites.

Here's the link to your fuel tank on parts fish: 1980 Honda CB900C A FUEL TANK | PartsFish.com

Just click on the part number and it'll bring you to a page that shows other models that use the same part towards the bottom.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Do you want the easy answer that is solved with money? Or the less easier answer that isn't.

The easy answer is you call Pingle and they sell you a replacement petcock. They used to have the DOHC Hondas listed in their catalog but I think you have to call them now because it is a niche item. It will be about $100.

the less easy answer is you rebuild your petcock. The inside of the fuel petcock has an o-ring and a four hole gasket. Often the 4 hole gasket rips. You drill out the rivets then tap the holes to take screws and viola your petcock becomes rebuildable. There are people that sell kits, I think they are about $16.

There is also this dodgy replacement one from China:
Honda CB750F Super Sport . CB900C Custom Fuel Petcock Valve Switch Assembly | eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts