Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying and selling bikes for the last 4 years or so. It is funny but it seems that bikes come at me in groups for some reason. I might go 6 months without being offered a GS850 and then 4 will come along in one week. Well this week has been CB week. A few days ago I picked up a CB500, not running but titled. Today I got a CB175. Sunday I am picking up a CB750. A few hours ago I got a call about a CB350 Four that I will check out on Sunday. I got the 500 for $25, 175 for $50, 750 will be $100 and the 350 Four will be no more than $200. I guess I will be busy getting some running and parting out others. I just got done parting out 2 FJ1100, GS1100 and 2 RD200. I can break a bike down in a few hours but it takes for ever to list and ship everything. Good money thought so I don't mind. Anyone needs anything before it hits Ebay?

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street

·
Registered
23 Posts
i might be interested in the 500 front end to retrofit on a cl350 (if it'll work). also looking for a water buffalo hub if you happen have one floating around...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Anybody know why old bikes are plentiful and cheap back east, and rare and costly here on the west coast? The prices you paid for those bike are probably 1/2 to 1/3 what I would have to pay here in So. Cal.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that front end will work great on your bike dave. especially if its a 500/4!

the gt750 brake will run you at least 300 bucks, bare minimum. brake shoes are 100 bucks. then you gotta get it to fit up. give that up and run a dual disk. i have piles of old wheels and mcs in my garage.

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Jan 25 2008 5:29:09 PM

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run ads looking for bikes. Most of the bikes I get come from people who "just want it out of the garage". Some come with titles, some without. They usually do not run but after a good carb cleaning they do. If a bike makes it to ebay or craigslist, it probably will not be a great deal because many people will be trying to buy it. My trick is to get to them before they have a chance to really think about it. They read my ad and remember that they have an old bike sitting in the shed. I have bought everything from a Honda Express 50cc to a GS1100 and all in between. I usually have around 10 bikes either for sale or parting out. I keep the ones I really like if I get the cheap enough. I figure I don't "need" another bike but when will I ever come across a very nice Triumph 750 for $1500, so I kept it.

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I run ads looking for bikes. Most of the bikes I get come from people who "just want it out of the garage". Some come with titles, some without. They usually do not run but after a good carb cleaning they do. If a bike makes it to ebay or craigslist, it probably will not be a great deal because many people will be trying to buy it. My trick is to get to them before they have a chance to really think about it. They read my ad and remember that they have an old bike sitting in the shed. I have bought everything from a Honda Express 50cc to a GS1100 and all in between. I usually have around 10 bikes either for sale or parting out. I keep the ones I really like if I get the cheap enough. I figure I don't "need" another bike but when will I ever come across a very nice Triumph 750 for $1500, so I kept it.

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street
I used to do the same when I lived in Rochester (Henrietta) funny thing about rochester is the crazy amount of bikes for a city plagued by lake effect. Also when I lived there you could still buy muscle cars cheap and there were plenty to be had. I must have passed on 4 or 5 1967 442 Olds because I thought $3000 was too much for a college student to spend on a hot rod. For some strange reason there used to be a lot of kawi triples in that city....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Henrietta, off East River road. Small world. There are tons on vintage bikes in this town. I do not see many Harleys riding around but lots of XS650, CB350, KZ750 and so on. I love it.

Rochester, NY
74 CB450
73 Triumph Bonnie 750
80 KZ1000 drag/street

·
Registered
326 Posts
I for some reason seem to find bikes in pairs? Don't know why but I find them like that.

I'm not to the point yet with my garage remodel and equipment purchase to start buying new parts bikes,but I hope that will come around by early summer. The garage redo will make it much easier and a more organized operation than what I have now.

I want to set up my garage like a mini Disassembly line where I start with a spray wash area,tear down,parts washer,rust tank,bead/sand blast cabinet etc. all down to final primer/paint,reassembly or tag & bag/box for sale.

Hodaka Ace project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

Edited by - coolatula on Jan 26 2008 08:03:17 AM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts