Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently bought a 1985 honda cd 200 for dirt cheap in questionable condition and I want to turn it into a cafe racer project but ive ran into a few problems.

For starters the gas tank is rusted realy badly and it is not the shape that I want it to be, im looking for a relatively cheap alternative gas tank that i can use for the project, something that is a bit longer and sleeker but still retains a nice look that isn't too small (almost like the xs1100 tank) if I can't find a tank that fits my criteria then i will send the stock one in to get altered and de rusted

Secondly I've been struggling to get tyres that would fit the motorcycle as it uses 17 inch tires front and rear. Could anyone please help me to find an affordable tyre that would fit both front and rear

Lastly the chain and sprockets are missing and I would like to upsize the front sprocket a bit to get the motorcycle to be able to do highway speeds if even possible but I dont know how many teeth would be too many before I start losing too much acceleration. It uses a 15 tooth in front and a 34 tooth in the rear

·
Registered
101 Posts
You should try posting this on the Honda twins website, there will be more information relevant to your bike.

If it's the inside of your gas tank that's rusted you should be able to clean and seal it with POR-15, but you gotta follow instructions to the T.

Try looking for 3.00-17 motorcycle tyres that match your bike. If your just typing 17 inch then you'll be searching a very broad range

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Lastly the chain and sprockets are missing and I would like to upsize the front sprocket a bit to get the motorcycle to be able to do highway speeds if even possible but I dont know how many teeth would be too many before I start losing too much acceleration. It uses a 15 tooth in front and a 34 tooth in the rear
Shop service manual for the bike will usually tell you what sprocket sizes are compatible. The limit to up-sizing the countershaft sprocket is determined by clearance limits around the engine casings. The limitations on your motorcycles highway speed is going to be horsepower and wind resistance, so gearing changes won't net you much improvement. Your twin has one small carburetor and only two small valves per cylinder that will always limit speed performance. I wouldn't go more then one tooth extra on the counter-shaft sprocket and make sure your chain clears the engine casing. If it has a standard roller chain on it stock you should stay with standard chain because sealed roller chains are wider and can encounter additional clearance problems.

For low priced tires try IRC or Duro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts