Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a point where I am starting to cut off all useless tabs from the frame of my cb750. I was wondering which was the prefered method of holding the bike upright. I am leaning toward the kickstand.........what do you guys think?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
leave the centerstand tabs and just remove the stand itself. if you ever have to do a tire change it is one bolt and the stand is back on. Leave the kickstand in place and if you are really worried about the weight you can gun drill it (just don't lean on it with your weight + the bikes, they bend pretty easy stock).

I am kinda curious what you define as a useless tab? IIRC there are not a lot of tabs on a cb750 that are just hanging out doing nothing.

Edited by - geeto67 on Aug 03 2007 8:52:51 PM

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I definitely agree with Geeto on this one. The braced swing-arm on my GS keeps me from having the centerstand on the bike full time but man is it handy when I need to change shocks, pull a wheel off, balance the carbs, etc, etc...... Two bolts and I have a centerstand again.

Unless you are building a true race bike. Then you are required to cut off both the kickstand and centerstand brackets.

I'd avoid drilling the kickstand. For the weight you save you'd be better off giving up cheeseburgers for a week instead. You'll feel better and the bike will be less likely to topple over at the worst possible moment.....

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheeseburgers for a week? Say it ain't so. I was curious if it was worth it to remove one or the other. As far as useless tabs....there are a couple tabs for the chain guard, the rear peg tubes (unless you use them for rearsets)the tabs for the horn.......and so on.

I have a rear stand for the bike so I wasn't too concerned about the center stand. I will take your advice and keep the bracket for the center stand. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and I think the rear tank tab is going to be useless since I am going with a CR style tank............anymore you can think of?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I would keep the chain guard tabs and chain guard, and just drill the shit out of em. CB750s were known to spit chains when hopped up or abused (that is why they detuned the K1s and went to a 630 chain on the 1978s) and the last thing you want is it taking your foot off when it goes. Plus the more drilled stuff you have on your bike the cooler it looks.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I am always so happy when I cut the lump of steel known as a kick stand and its mount bracket ,it feels like a large dark ages turkey leg in your hands.Feels even better going into the trash.I keep the center stand on .It looks cool on its stand parked and it is the tool for working on your bike.
Really a bike is pretty spares in weight saving areas,so you need to look carefully where you can,trim some wieght off.i took the tool box off my 450 and that gave me a few fraction of inches to get the battery lower in the frame ,by removing the side covers and tabs I saved another few bits of weight not alot but a little.I also cut of the tabs on the battery box and rearranged the electrical parts in a more orderly fashion and cut the battery box down.(the battery box itself is a heavey lump,on my cb450.
The stock seat is big fat and heavey, same with the stock handle bars.The foot pegs and its bar(some bikes have a bar so dont) is another heavey farm implement lucky its low on the frame I ditched them.the exhausts on cbs are heavey and trade them out for bolt on shorties or header is a big weight saver.
All and all I think you do get a good bit of weight all up off the bike by cafe cutting ,drilling removing parts and materials.
alloy rims will help weight also steering responce and gyro forces.

stock street bikes with some thought and always keep safty issues in check can be lighter.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts