Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping in line with the awful luck that accompanies anytime i pick up a tool to work on my own equipment, tragedy struck last night when the replacement chain for the 350 came up a link or two too long.

Any recommendations for removing a link?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
cutoff wheel/grinder. grind the rivet off then press the link out.

jc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<random cursing expletives here>...

i have no idea how to go about doing any of the above mentioned techniques..

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if you look at the side plates of the chain, you will see a rivet head. you will need to grind the 2 rivet heads off of the sideplate at the length you want. if you have a grinder, you can grind those rivet heads off, then the link will drop out the other side. when its ground enough, the side plate will fall free form the chain. it might take some very light prying with a screw driver. you can cut into the sideplate as it will be trash. do not hammer smash on the rivets to get them out. it could bend a plate and create a kink in the chain.

jc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh, just calmed down for a second here, realized i just need to either i) file away at it, or ii) locate someone with a grinder.

i am realizing very quickly that i shouldn't attempt anything beyond something that requires a simple screwdriver and maybe a single 12mm ratchet...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am surprised nobody suggested he go down his local bike shop and spend the $15 on a chain breaker. You know - the right tool for the job.

Honestly though, just take it to your local bike shop and ask them if they can shorten it for you a couple of links. most shops will charge you a pittance if at all to do this.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i was going to suggest a chain break, but honestly, the $15 ones are usualy crap, break, or i just dont have the patience for one. A grinder for 20 bucks from home depot is a better investment i think. Of course you can take it to a bike shop, but thats not always convenient. Besides, i like doing things myself!

all of geetos suggestions will work also.

jc

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I am surprised nobody suggested he go down his local bike shop and spend the $15 on a chain breaker. You know - the right tool for the job.

Honestly though, just take it to your local bike shop and ask them if they can shorten it for you a couple of links. most shops will charge you a pittance if at all to do this.
how does a chain breaker work? Will i still need to grind out the heads of the bolts on the chain?

I prob will take it into a bike shop, prob ask camrod if they can do it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
A motorcycle rivet chain breaker does exactly what it sounds like - it breaks chains at the rivets by pushing the pin completely through the link (so no you will not have to grind anything that is why it is the right tool for the job) Do one link at a time to practice as sometimes you can bend the link if you are inexpirenced with it. If you are using a rivet type master link you will need a tool to re-rivet the link back on. if you are using the clip style then just reinstall and be done with it.

Seriously this is basic bike 101 kinda shit. Any manual that you are working from (or should be working from) will have this in there.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
oh and if you go to camrod, make sure to ask them why they feel like cheating their customers. I effin hate that place (see my other post about a battery)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Geeto,
I've never had success with using a chain breaker tool without hitting the chain with the dremmel first. When I've tried I've always had the pin on the tool break before the rivet moved. Have you found a chain breaker tool that doesn't require the rivet to be ground down?
Craig

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

oh and if you go to camrod, make sure to ask them why they feel like cheating their customers. I effin hate that place (see my other post about a battery)
hah i did. my roommate needed a battery, and i was supersuprised when i asked if they warranty it fully. then when i was walking out with they, said, um sir we only warranty it if we start the initial charge.

i remembered your post then. i guess camrod is my easiest option, i wouldve done the guys down in the east village, but they are closed saturday.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HaHa I am going to disagree with Geeto and be right. The grinder is the right tool to break a chain. After having worked in bike shop for 15 years I have shortened many chains. A quick hit on a bench grinder to take the rivets flush with the ide plate or below, I get a cold chisel between the side plate and the roller and one whack with the hammer has the plate off and the other half just pulls through by hand. you never risk bending a side plate or peening a rivet back over. It can really be accomplished in a minute or less. It takes longer to get a chain breaker in place twice than it does to complete the whole job. If you want to do the job on the bike if you have changed gearing or don't want to count links, then just overlap the chain on the rear sprocket and hit th rivets with a body grinder or Dremel tool then using the sprocket as the anvil and pop the side plate off with the cold chisel. Grinder cold chisel and hammer are theright tools for breaking chains.

Ken

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have a breaker that bangs rivets out. A friend of mine gave ti to me before he moved so I have no idea what brand it is and it may just be my 280+ lbs of force crushing on it that makes it work.

That being said I haven't used it in a couple of years because I grind it with a dremel.

that being said, if you don't have an air line or an electric die grinder or a dremel or access to any of them, then a chain breaker was designed for this job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts