Cafe Racer Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changes to forum management

13K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  VSAdmin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make a formal introduction to the Mod/Admin team. My name is Philip and I work for Verticalscope.com. We just recently acquired caferacer.net so I will be the one working behind the curtains here to keep the lights on. Continuity is important to us so I am certainly not going to be making any major changes to how you like to run things. We are mostly interested in working to support you all as well as make your day to day on the site easier.

Over the next few days you will notice myself Helena and Kyle around the site and as well as members of our support team, while we get to know the landscape of the forum and how things work. I will be working closely with you all on ways we can help improve the order of things here so you can spend less time feeling like you are working on the site and more time engaging the membership.

If you have questions please let me know, I will do my best to answer you all as quickly and thoroughly as I can.

-Philip

#2 ·
Hi, Philip, and welcome to our community! Members, I'm staying with the forum, and now work with VerticalScope as well. I'll be here, as I have been the last few years, to help with anything you all need here. Don't expect any changes in the forum...that's not in the plan. If you have some things you'd like to see, or changes that you think are merited, let us know. I'll be working closely with Phil and his team to be as responsive to the group here as possible. I'm really excited that I'll be able to stay and continue to work with you guys!

#10 ·
Still don't actually see what value this place has to a cooperation.
In the past all attempts to monetize it have failed, and only some were sabotage.

#13 ·
Well who ever thought it was a good idea to bring DCC on as a sponsor should have been fired!

Geeto isn't mindlessly hazing phill. It is a legit question.

This was never meant to be a large commercial site, so outside people purchasing it and "running" it is always a concern.
To be fair under this ownership not much "running" has been seen. That is a good thing.

We can be dicks and keep most of the people away....

Reactions: monkey and WERA689
#18 ·
Hello Philip, Helena, and Kyle.
Philip, I think a decent portion of the members are used to a more traditional introduction to a community forum. It might feel to some members a little abrupt, so in an attempt to assist your entrance, I have responded, with quotes, to the original post with a few questions that might open up a few curtains and let the members here feel a little more comfortable with the new changes.

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to make a formal introduction to the Mod/Admin team. My name is Philip and I work for Verticalscope.com.
Cool. What's VerticalScope.com?

We just recently acquired caferacer.net so I will be the one working behind the curtains here to keep the lights on. Continuity is important to us so I am certainly not going to be making any major changes to how you like to run things. We are mostly interested in working to support you all as well as make your day to day on the site easier.
Acquired for what purpose? What interest does VerticalScope.com have in CafeRacer.net?

How are you going to make the "day-to-day" on this website easier? Does VerticalScope.com somehow feel that the site is overly complex that it needs to be made simple?

Over the next few days you will notice myself Helena and Kyle around the site and as well as members of our support team, while we get to know the landscape of the forum and how things work.
So am I understanding that VerticalScope.com acquired a website without understanding its function and basic operational capacity for its members?

I will be working closely with you all on ways we can help improve the order of things here so you can spend less time feeling like you are working on the site and more time engaging the membership.
In what way does VerticalScope.com feel the members of CafeRacer.net spend too much time "working on the site"?
How does VerticalScope.com percieve member engagement on this forum? Where does VerticalScope.com feel improvements can be made? How does VerticalScope.com intend to impliment these improvements for the members and through what process?

If you have questions please let me know, I will do my best to answer you all as quickly and thoroughly as I can.
Traditionally, new members of a forum read the New Members Read Here! area of the forum and make an introduction based off of the prior introductions. A good way to format an inro is to read prior intro threads.

What bike(s) do you own?
How long have you been riding?
Are we getting something cool, like website coffee mugs, stickers for our helmets (My son likes stickers), maybe a mouse pad?
What is your life experiences? What is the most notable moment in you life and how does it impact your decisions in life?

What is your occupational role at VerticalScope.com and what special attributes do you posses that you were specfically selected to play this role of contact between CafeRacer.net and VerticalScope.com?

Are Helena and Kyle going to involve themselves on a personal level, posting messages and communicating on the forum, or in what way are the going to be involved?

Thanks for the update Philip. Looking forward to getting to know you beyond a 6 letter name and a .COM association.

-RR

#21 ·
Traditionally, new members of a forum read the New Members Read Here! area of the forum and make an introduction based off of the prior introductions. A good way to format an inro is to read prior intro threads.-RR
what new members should read FIRST is the "home page". and as long as the wording of that page doesnt change all is good with me, thats the page which brought me to this site. welcome sirs

#19 ·
Hi Road Runner,
It would appear you have been here nearly as long as I have. :)
VS recently acquired a number of motorcycle sites from Forum Foundry. I am here to help keep the lights on and will not be as involved in all conversations here. I am a community manager for VS and have worked with VS for over 6 years now. My priority is making sure the site continues to run as it should. WERA689 is still here as are all the other mods and admins so little about the site will change for anyone who is a newer or older member here.
-Philip

#25 ·
Are you are Phillip B???

I was a mod on another forum that Vertical Scope bought. My guess is that the day to day users will see no difference at all and the VS stuff will be 99% behind the scenes... at least that's how it was on the Ducati Superbikes forum I was on. This site probably(?) has a moderators section that is invisible to the riff raff, and most of the VS posts will be seen there?

Just guessing.

And the superbike forum I mentioned? It became a ghost town soon after being bought out. I have no idea if the two events were related but I doubt it.

#38 ·
VS took over Custom Fighters a few years back and there was all sorts of fire and brimstone threats from the old guard about starting their own forum and bringing down the new owners.

Never happened.

To VS's credit, they kept their word and didn't fuck with the forum and it's still pretty active today. Hopefully the same will happen here and no one will notice / give a shit in a few months time.

From memory I think Helena was most active over there and they all wanted pics of her. Cant remember if she obliged....

#44 ·
VS took over Custom Fighters a few years back and there was all sorts of fire and brimstone threats from the old guard about starting their own forum and bringing down the new owners.
Never happened.
To VS's credit, they kept their word and didn't fuck with the forum and it's still pretty active today. Hopefully the same will happen here and no one will notice / give a shit in a few months time.
From memory I think Helena was most active over there and they all wanted pics of her. Cant remember if she obliged....
She attended FighterFest a few times as well. :)
-Philip

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.