Cafe Racer Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Traditionally, new members of a forum read the New Members Read Here! area of the forum and make an introduction based off of the prior introductions. A good way to format an inro is to read prior intro threads.-RR
what new members should read FIRST is the "home page". and as long as the wording of that page doesnt change all is good with me, thats the page which brought me to this site. welcome sirs

Actually would love to know (not being a dick)

What does it take to keep a forum like this running?

Are you are Phillip B???

I was a mod on another forum that Vertical Scope bought. My guess is that the day to day users will see no difference at all and the VS stuff will be 99% behind the scenes... at least that's how it was on the Ducati Superbikes forum I was on. This site probably(?) has a moderators section that is invisible to the riff raff, and most of the VS posts will be seen there?

Just guessing.

And the superbike forum I mentioned? It became a ghost town soon after being bought out. I have no idea if the two events were related but I doubt it.

what new members should read FIRST is the "home page". and as long as the wording of that page doesnt change all is good with me, thats the page which brought me to this site. welcome sirs
Quote from home page:

"...Our motivation in creating this website is to emphasize and support a dying breed of old-school race bikes."

Personal observation: 95% of what gets posted here lately seems to be modern stuff, hardly any of which are actually race bikes. More than 50% of it gets ragged on, and the OPs disappear.

I personally appreciate TRUE "old school" (classics, with kickstarters) far more than modern bikes. I've done all I can do to bring as much of my first-hand association with it here as possible.

So, while this site may SUPPORT the "dying breed of old school race bikes", it certainly doen't seem to be EMPHASIZING them.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Are you are Phillip B???

I was a mod on another forum that Vertical Scope bought. My guess is that the day to day users will see no difference at all and the VS stuff will be 99% behind the scenes... at least that's how it was on the Ducati Superbikes forum I was on. This site probably(?) has a moderators section that is invisible to the riff raff, and most of the VS posts will be seen there?

Just guessing.

And the superbike forum I mentioned? It became a ghost town soon after being bought out. I have no idea if the two events were related but I doubt it.
I am the only Philip B. That works here so most likely I am the same person.
-Philip

Quote from home page:

"...Our motivation in creating this website is to emphasize and support a dying breed of old-school race bikes."

Personal observation: 95% of what gets posted here lately seems to be modern stuff, hardly any of which are actually race bikes. More than 50% of it gets ragged on, and the OPs disappear.

I personally appreciate TRUE "old school" (classics, with kickstarters) far more than modern bikes. I've done all I can do to bring as much of my first-hand association with it here as possible.

So, while this site may SUPPORT the "dying breed of old school race bikes", it certainly doen't seem to be EMPHASIZING them.
All I can say to that is that what gets EMPHASIZED here is entirely dependent on you guys...the members here. We don't create a lot of content for here, and then ram it down your throats. We just make sure you have a functional place to share your stories, builds, and experiences. What gets posted and discussed here is from YOU. Personally, I don't much like the way you guys bash on new members. We all need to realize and accept the fact that 'cafe racers' are a resurgent trend among hipsters everywhere these days. (And I'm not much of a fan of hipsters, either). They're going to see the forum name, and gravitate here; and instead of trying to impress on them the heritage BEHIND this style, you beat them up, berate them for being fakes, and boot them out the door. That's not how this place is going to grow, or even likely survive. Just my thoughts, and occasional frustrations, with this group that you all deserve to hear from one of the Admins that's been here a few years.

Personally, I don't much like the way you guys bash on new members. We all need to realize and accept the fact that 'cafe racers' are a resurgent trend among hipsters everywhere these days. (And I'm not much of a fan of hipsters, either). They're going to see the forum name, and gravitate here; and instead of trying to impress on them the heritage BEHIND this style, you beat them up, berate them for being fakes, and boot them out the door. That's not how this place is going to grow, or even likely survive. Just my thoughts, and occasional frustrations, with this group that you all deserve to hear from one of the Admins that's been here a few years.
Please don't include me in the group to which you are referring above that bash new members. Never have, never will. Even on my Delphi forums, I just PM them that their content is off-topic for the specific forum, and wish them well elsewhere.

What does it take to keep a forum like this running?
There is no "perfect" hardware & software base with hosting, and all the associated bits that make it all come together.

One user, posting a video clip from some specific source, can crash the software.

Who fixes it?

Admin.

I believe "admin" doesn't work for free, either...

VS took over Custom Fighters a few years back and there was all sorts of fire and brimstone threats from the old guard about starting their own forum and bringing down the new owners.

Never happened.

To VS's credit, they kept their word and didn't fuck with the forum and it's still pretty active today. Hopefully the same will happen here and no one will notice / give a shit in a few months time.

From memory I think Helena was most active over there and they all wanted pics of her. Cant remember if she obliged....

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.