Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if it's possible to use a 1993 CB 750 on a 1983 Cb 750? I can have the chance of changing the 4-1 for two 2-1 and if the mainfolds fit the cylinders, I will do it inmediatly....!!! Any feedback will be welcomed...

Cheers...

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
no.

you need exhaust for a 1979-1983 DOHC 750 engine (DOHC= dual overhead cam). Fortunatly plenty of companies still make pipes for these bikes for any budget from MAC to Vance and Hines to some german company whose name I forget but the exhaust is $700.

Have you gotten yourself a manual yet?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another option would be cutting the ends of the headers and welding them on the new ones...what about that?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
you could do that, do you need a new exhaust or is this because you are hotter to modify than you are to get your bike in optimal mechanical shape?

muffler shops should have a collection of collector and merge pipes you can use to turn a 4 into 4 into a 4 into 2 or 4 into 1.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually both...I need to change it cause the collectors have a hole on the bottom and no muffler at all. I don't want to sound unpolite, and I certanly thank you for all the advise, but it seems to me that you're kinda pissed off because I'm getting some things in advance. I know exactly the final look I want, so it really doesn't matter if I buy them now or after. Again, I don't want you to feel offended and I appreciate all your help. Please keep advice me, don't take this the wrong way.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
ferro,

it's just that geeto sees a lot of people jump head first into a project, spend good amounts of money on a project, can't get it running, and then sell it down the road at a loss.

he's not pissed, he's just more concerned......plus we don't let him out of the attic much, so he hasn't developed good people skills.

tex

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Look dude, I have built too many bikes and dealt with too many newbies making bad choices to know whne you are heading down that path. I am not pissed at you but I am brusk, and you are breaking one of the cardinal rules of modifying bikes - START WITH A SOLID FOUNDATION. You have already said you are completely new to this, so when someone is trying to drop hints as to what the proper direction you should be moving in try to take them for they are worth. Honestly, if you think you know more about these bikes then me or what it takes to build one them please by all means waste your money on custom parts right now.

does your bike even run yet? can it get down the street under its own power? Can you ride it. If you can't answer these questions with yes then you should not be talking about custom tanks and exhaust, you should be talking about carb rebuild kits, brake rebuild kits, wiring harnesses, etc....get me?

do you have a manual yet?

Neither of those motad systems are what I was thinking of and neither of them are for his cb750. The system I was thinking of was made in germany and had a titanium muffler. The cb1100f.net guys did a group buy on them at $700 a piece a while back, I will look it up.

BTW, in the US where parts are cheap, it would cost at least $600 (more like $1000) in service items to bring your bike as it is in the pictures back to running and rideable condition before you spent a single dollar on custom parts. Here you want $600 tanks, and fancy exhausts, but really you need:

- carb rebuild kits (try randakk cycles, he has a nice kit)
- Tires (possibly tubes depending on what version comstars you have)
- seat? (didn't see one in the pics)
- exhaust (didn't see one in the pics)
- Tank cleaner/sealer (if the tank is rusty - por15 kit is pretty good)
- caliper rebuild kits (if the calipers are sticking)
- brake fluid (by now you should have realized that all fluids in your bike should be changed)
- battery
- plus any items that are actually broken on your bike (which you will need in working order before you start cutting into it)

got it?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Geeto is right on, man.

Sometimes I do things in a slightly different order, but I've worked on a lot of bikes and am allowed to fuck up.

Geetos list is the absolute starting point for getting a fucked up old bike not only running, but being SAFE to run. Every bike I work on gets cleaned carbs, tires, brakes rebuilt/serviced and suspension checked/repaired/serviced before anything else happens. Riding a bike that doesn't have these fundamental things done to it right and right away is a good way to get yourself hurt.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
geeto,

i know that those exhausts weren't for his year of dohc, but they make one for him. i wasn't gonna sit there and research it through. just thought i'd post up a manufacturer of aftermarket exhausts. here is the direct link to their site where he will be able to find the correct exhaust for this bike. http://www.motad.co.uk/index.php

by the pics he posted up on the general forum, he looks like he has built a bike (vintage mv single), but hasn't done a honda inline 4. i could be totally wrong and he could have bought the mv that way as well.

don't know, don't care.

tex

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
geeto

i am building a bike and i have no manual... does that make me gay?.... of course not cause i am not using clubmans for this bike... i reckon i should be fine?

·
Registered
692 Posts
www.cyclexchange.net is finally building parts for the Cafe CB market . He's making a REAL nice custom system ( kinda like an older Yoshi and MAC mix ) for about $400 and it's already ceramicked . Very nice .

Ferroman : For your bike look for the Vance and Hines and MAC systems . That's probably your best bet .

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Wanker, thats for a SOHC. Ferroman has a DOHC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts