Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is my xs 1100 build. First time build for me so I'm open to suggestions and comments.

First pics of the standard bike as it was when I got it. 1.jpg 3.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting the rear suspension on.
I made a shit mistake by ASSUMING that the shock mounting would central to the tire and fitted everything accordingly..needless to say I was about 20mm off...don't ask as I don't have excuses. Did it all over again and got it bang on now.
We have a saying...people who think they are bloody clever aren't always bloody clever and that was especially true for me over here.
28052013228.jpg 28052013227.jpg 28052013230.jpg 28052013233.jpg

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
Not that the excess 11 needs any more weight, but, I would brace hat pivot area. You put a much bigger stronger lever on the back and now it is going to have its way with any flexibility in your frame.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right the rear suspension on. Front suspension on but not bolted as I will strip it all again once setup is complete. The triple clamps also not completed as I must still decide what gauges to use and how I will go about clamping arrangements for the light ( which I must still get)

Here is where I need some input. The pic of the the bottom of the shock where it has a wishbone thingy and triangular plates.......I'm not too sure of the correct working position of these parts.I looked at pics of fireblades and they are more or less in this position but how accurate do I need to be with this?

I've been told the shock must lay forward at about 15 degrees so put it more or less in that position.I have the bike in the position I want and I need to measure up for top and bottom support brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that the excess 11 needs any more weight, but, I would brace hat pivot area. You put a much bigger stronger lever on the back and now it is going to have its way with any flexibility in your frame.
For sure...I already made a brace for the one side must still do the other. I must still do brackets for the footpeg sets as well so perhaps I can incorporate a brace into that too. I saved a lot of weight on the wheels though wow those xs wheels weigh a ton. Even the swing arm is lighter that the steel swingarm and final drive of the xs. It is however 120mm longer which could possibly put different stresses onto the frame.
Thanks for the input mate.

·
Registered
23,291 Posts
You missed a key bracing spot. Under the rear of the tank where the backbone turns down toward the engine cradle.

Those braces are on the backside of the tube and not bisecting the tube right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What kind of tolerances did you have when machining your triples? Any chance you know what grade aluminum you used? 8xxx series perhaps? I am considering machining a set of my own.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You missed a key bracing spot. Under the rear of the tank where the backbone turns down toward the engine cradle.

Those braces are on the backside of the tube and not bisecting the tube right?
Hi Geeto ....no they don't bisect the tubes just slotted to go over and welded all round. I took that pic before welding they were just tacked into position.

The lower tube is an extra thick 3mm walled tube I welded in and the top one is original. The forces on this bracket will be a pulling force so I have lined up the connector nicely inbetween the two tubes.

I'm not sure of the bracing spot I missed under the tank...I have welded small triangular pieces of 5mm plate into all three corners of the triangle. I hope this will combat the upward forces of the shock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What kind of tolerances did you have when machining your triples? Any chance you know what grade aluminum you used? 8xxx series perhaps? I am considering machining a set of my own.
Hi Rocky.......I'm not sure of the grade but it is a very machinable alloy...not soft at all. I think I went a little tight on the clearances 0.05mm. I'm sure 0.1 should be more than sufficient because you split them anyway for clamping.There was a tiny bit of grit in the one side and I didn't see that it scratched my nice fork tube badly when I assembled.Very pissed off at myself for that but luckily its toward the back of the shock.

I still have a bit of machining to do on them but only after I decide how to mount the clock and lights...just to make them lighter as they weigh a ton....however I like the big chunky sort of look they give.

Where the shaft is fitted to the lower clamp I gave an interference fit of 0.05mm. Heated up the clamp and pushed it in. Its also threaded with an M12 so I will also put a bolt and thick washer on just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I don't remember a chain drive conversion for XS1100?
That sounds expensive?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Seen the chain conversion on the 1100's quite a few times - but if you could post lots of pics of the process that would be sweet.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I've been skipping this thread because I am not into small 100cc bikes. It wasn't till I came here that I realized there is a 1 missing in the thread title. Can it be fixed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seen the chain conversion on the 1100's quite a few times - but if you could post lots of pics of the process that would be sweet.
Will do Hillsy. I've seen quite a few conversions on the net, some really proffesional and some really dodgy. One can buy a ready made kit but with our weak Rand/Dollar exchange its nearly impossible besides I would like to try doing it myself. A freind who used to race motorcycles knows of someone here in Cape Town who raced an XS 1100 with a chain conversion back in the 80's. He would be willing to advise as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been skipping this thread because I am not into small 100cc bikes. It wasn't till I came here that I realized there is a 1 missing in the thread title. Can it be fixed?
Hi Marc...Sorry man I also saw my mistake the other day, tried to fix but could not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made a little bit of progress here.

Electrics and battery box fitted under the seat. Once the tail light and reg number are on hopefully the box will be more out of sight. I'm planning to make up bullet like ornaments to close up the holes where I chopped the frame. I could not leave the original ugly XS fittings as they were.

Decided not to go with clip ons as I'm not too comfortable with the crouched riding position and the turning is restricted as well....I don't want to cut on the tank. Made brackets and fitted a drag bar instead.

I have also started to make the new brackets to fit the rearsets. Will post pics once I'm done with that.

DSC04518.jpg DSC04519.jpg DSC04521.jpg DSC04523.jpg DSC04524.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Footrest brackets made. Started to clean up the motor now. By the way the motor is as sweet as ever. Rode the bike for a couple of weeks before starting this project. I just have to make a bracket to hold the rear brake fluid reservoir and an engine to frame earth strap mounting point then the frame is also done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts