Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pennies are getting pinched for my project and not to mention it's also my daily driver. The CB650 wheels had tires on them but their pretty hairy looking to drive on. Some cracks on them make the grand canyon look like a midgets buttcrack in comparison. I could be like Burt Munro and just fill them in with shoe polish and cut off the tread. [:p]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
whoops...I didn't even post the size. Hahahha. Front is a 100/90/19 and the rear is 130/70/17

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
MC salvage yards sell used tires all the time. The are priced in the 20 to 50 dollar range, depending on the tire and condition. All new tires now come with a mfg date. The common sense is looking for tires that are not older than 3 to 6 years old. You still will have to get the tire mounted and balanced. I'm looking into tires myself at the moment and even though I have access to a MC salvage yard inventory, I'm still looking for new tires... I found the Chen Shim tires to be in the 60 to 70 dollar range for my tire size. That's not much different than a high end tire found at a MC salvage yard. If you purchase a tire at a bike shop, you may be able to negotiate a discount on the mounting and balancing providing you bring in the wheel already dismounted from the bike. For me - I'll spend the extra 20 or 30 dollars for a new tire vs something used. I think my skin is worth that much.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a yard like a mile or two from my house. They have wacky hours and aren't open by the time I get home or on weekends. Baaahumbug! I'll have to call them up on break from work and ask them what they have and have the wife pick them up. I did just come back from a walk with my son and see a bunch of tires in the back chopper shop. Some haggered and some still look decent. Just to hold me over till I get some good tires. I was thinking it would be kinda cool to slap something with whitewalls on it. lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts