Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My old Marzocchi were max of 24psi...

As to why I went this root was two fold.
1) I spent to much money on the shocks getting them "Setup"
2) I like to do things myself and have a full machine shop a my house to play with..

at the price for two sets it left $$ on the table if i trashed a set no harm no fowl.

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
I don't know why people buy these brand shocks. For very little more cash you can get Hagons or Ikons with adequate dampening, the desired length and the right spring rate to do the job just fine.

I'm surprised they only run 75PSI max pressure. Even small motorcross bikes monoshocks run about 90-120PSI of nitrogen.
Have you actually ever built anything? Have you ever put Hagons or Ikons on anything? Have you ever raced? If you have to ask why somebody with skills and resources would remake these shocks to work on their personal race bike, then you don't have a single clue about working with your hands to try and make something worthless, like these shocks, into something that is race ready and able to be tuned to a specific need.
DM,d

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Have you actually ever built anything? Have you ever put Hagons or Ikons on anything? Have you ever raced? If you have to ask why somebody with skills and resources would remake these shocks to work on their personal race bike, then you don't have a single clue about working with your hands to try and make something worthless, like these shocks, into something that is race ready and able to be tuned to a specific need.
DM,d
I've rebuilt shocks (including welded up "non-rebuildable" OEM ones), and plenty of forks. I had one shock that I rebuilt, not work correctly, so I did it again and then it did.

I did a shock rebuild and re-gas for a nut who wanted Ohlins performance for one third the price of a real quality shock: he wasn't happy before he got me to do it and he wasn't happy later: after raving and insults he wandered back to la-la land. When people have bad attitude and raving before you even try to help them for the first time, the results are not usually very pleasant.

Two fails in hundreds done is a good enough average. I've never heard a bad word about all the others.

I've fitted a few Hagons and Ikons, I can't remember how many, not that many I think.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My bike & I are light (R5 Yamaha @ 300lbs, me @ 150lbs). My RFY shocks looked great, but were brutally stiff with no sag at all even with the spring at softest preload. I switched to Hagons from Dave Quinn for a big improvement. Perhaps with lighter springs the RFY's would have worked OK, but who knows...

Jim B

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
I've rebuilt shocks (including welded up "non-rebuildable" OEM ones), and plenty of forks. I had one shock that I rebuilt, not work correctly, so I did it again and then it did.

I did a shock rebuild and re-gas for a nut who wanted Ohlins performance for one third the price of a real quality shock: he wasn't happy before he got me to do it and he wasn't happy later: after raving and insults he wandered back to la-la land. When people have bad attitude and raving before you even try to help them for the first time, the results are not usually very pleasant.

Two fails in hundreds done is a good enough average. I've never heard a bad word about all the others.

I've fitted a few Hagons and Ikons, I can't remember how many, not that many I think.
Then based on your experience, why would you ask the question of why Dwarf44 would rebuild crap shocks into good shocks?

BTW, I have never put Ikon or Hagons on anything. I use Progressive, a selection of specific OEM or Ohlins on most things these days. I put lots of Boge Mullholand on back in the day.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Then based on your experience, why would you ask the question of why Dwarf44 would rebuild crap shocks into good shocks?

BTW, I have never put Ikon or Hagons on anything. I use Progressive, a selection of specific OEM or Ohlins on most things these days. I put lots of Boge Mullholand on back in the day.
The guy who played around with the eBay eastern junk is not a pro, I guess. I'd hazard a guess that those shocks have cheap pistons, piston seals, valve stacks, etc, etc. If he wants to spend his time on them, learn a little on the way and get them working a bit better: good luck to him. I would think the hard anodizing could wear out real fast or the valve stack shims crack and flail about in hot oil. Personally I would not waste my time on them.

Even cheaply made shocks like some Marzocchis are a known quality. These Ebay wonders really are not.

Fitted or played around with most quality brands.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.487230128050086.1073741834.100002893081629&type=1&l=cb8fab7b4b

My bike & I are light (R5 Yamaha @ 300lbs, me @ 150lbs). My RFY shocks looked great, but were brutally stiff with no sag at all even with the spring at softest preload. I switched to Hagons from Dave Quinn for a big improvement. Perhaps with lighter springs the RFY's would have worked OK, but who knows...

Jim B
Jim your right the ones sold for RD's are way to stiff (152lbs/in), for a striped RD and a 210lbs rider. The ones I used are shorter units with lesser spring rate (106 lbs/in) and extended eyes to gain over all length.
The old marzocchi had a rate of 85lbs/in with max preload of 82lbs so I'd run out of shock and bottom easly. I did give thought and planed on using the RFY 106 springs on the Marzocchi shocks if the mod'ed RFY's didn't work but thankfully they did.

As to how long the RFY's will last...Well if i get two Penguin schools and the 3 races weekends (2 classes per weekend) out of them I'll consider that good return on investment.
As to fixing old non rebuildable units yes BTDT to. The RFY's were quicker and cheaper then messing with known junk.

The link above will take you to the spring rater I built, the bore is 1.125 so the pressure gauge read real PSI no conversion factors.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts