Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
if its anything like the GZ250, it's probably not that bad. the GZ is a pretty neat little machine, perfect city bike. can get up over 60 with a 180pound rider.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If it makes it here it probably won't last more than a year. Which is sad. We've all been brainwashed to believe a 1000cc Harley is an "entry level" bike. And anything that makes less than a gazillion H.P. isn't worth a second glance. It looks like an ideal commuter bike. What a shame.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

If it makes it here it probably won't last more than a year. Which is sad. We've all been brainwashed to believe a 1000cc Harley is an "entry level" bike. And anything that makes less than a gazillion H.P. isn't worth a second glance. It looks like an ideal commuter bike. What a shame.
Actually it's on the 2009 line up for Suzuki .

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
thou shalt kick start all real street bikes

·
Registered
290 Posts
From my vantage point, the 250s are more popular than you'd think. The thing is, no one rides them more than a year or so before trading up. The best part is that they retain resale value extraordinarily well, so for the $200-300 that it depreciates over a year, a new rider gets a good bike. For the manufacturer, though, I don't think that really translates into volume sales if everyone just bops around on little used scoots.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I was surprised by the GZ250 as that's what we had in my cyce riding course. I thought it was gonna be a slug but damn it was pretty peepy. If that was cheap enough I'd take me one of those. I was eyeballing a Ninja 250R since they got a really great review.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
pretty but tiny. I really wish the big four built bikes like this for our market with just a tad more displacement. If it was a 400cc thumper I would be down at a dealership scouting one out.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
In the late 80s Yamaha announced the SRX. I went to Macolm Smith's Motorsports and ordered one. Had to wait about 5 months before it showed up. They brought in three. I bought the first one. The second one sold about a week later and the third one sat on the floor for over a year. Finally discounted to $1500 to get rid of it. I didn't have the sense to buy it. The problem is there are very few of us who would want something line that. I'm thinking of the practicality for getting to work (if my lay off ever ends). I don't need a 1500cc 200hp machine to commute on roads where your max. speed is 65-70mph. And I don't really want a dual sport machine where the seat height is up to my chest. But I don't think they would sell in any quantity if they were imported here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First thought was, okay, somebody put a front disc on a 1980 Yamaha SR250, what's so special about that. . ? Uh, Suzuki? Hmmm, cute little bikie. Spoke wheels, one piston, two valves, nice looking motor, fair-sized fuel tank, trad round headlight. I like it, and I agree, people will stay away in droves. Nobody will take the poor little thing seriously, but it'll be a totally capable bike for everything except the freeway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
quote:The problem is there are very few of us who would want something line that.
I was working at a dealership when the SRX600 came out (in 1986), and I wanted one in the worst way. I was all set to buy the only one we got from the moment it came out of the crate. Now, I'm not a little girl. 5'10", 165#, back then, full-time ski instructor (read: serious leg muscles). I'd been riding an old Brit twin. Could I start that SRX? Not a freakin' chance. No electric start was one thing, but they had built the SRX without the SR500's compression release. Now, this was 1986- not 1956! Every day at lunch I rolled it into the back and wailed away at it, promising myself that if I could fire it up five days in a row I'd buy it. I never got it two days in a row. I think that sucker sat on the showroom floor 'til the tires rotted.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

In the late 80s Yamaha announced the SRX. I went to Macolm Smith's Motorsports and ordered one. Had to wait about 5 months before it showed up. They brought in three. I bought the first one. The second one sold about a week later and the third one sat on the floor for over a year. Finally discounted to $1500 to get rid of it. I didn't have the sense to buy it. The problem is there are very few of us who would want something line that. I'm thinking of the practicality for getting to work (if my lay off ever ends). I don't need a 1500cc 200hp machine to commute on roads where your max. speed is 65-70mph. And I don't really want a dual sport machine where the seat height is up to my chest. But I don't think they would sell in any quantity if they were imported here.
I had/have an 86 SRX . Love that bike . I would up modding it for 58 rwhp ( have the dyno sheets stashed away )race rod , cam ,revalved , race carbs , FZR parts galore , Workz shocks , etc . Would up fracturing the crank case . Wish i just left the fucker stock . What a great bike . [V]

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by Hammerwoman

quote:The problem is there are very few of us who would want something line that.
I was working at a dealership when the SRX600 came out (in 1986), and I wanted one in the worst way. I was all set to buy the only one we got from the moment it came out of the crate. Now, I'm not a little girl. 5'10", 165#, back then, full-time ski instructor (read: serious leg muscles). I'd been riding an old Brit twin. Could I start that SRX? Not a freakin' chance. No electric start was one thing, but they had built the SRX without the SR500's compression release. Now, this was 1986- not 1956! Every day at lunch I rolled it into the back and wailed away at it, promising myself that if I could fire it up five days in a row I'd buy it. I never got it two days in a row. I think that sucker sat on the showroom floor 'til the tires rotted.
What ? The SRX had automatic decompression . When you moved out the kicker a valve opened . It was actually pretty easy . One day I turned it over with a pair of birkenstocks on . An Enfield Bullet on the other hand would break your foot .
When they stopped importing the SRX ( 86 was the only yr for us )to the states a few years later they changed it in 91 ( monoshock and electric kick ) . That was a cool cool .

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
When the SRX came out the handlebar compression release was done away with. It had an automatic compression release built into the kicksarter mechanism. Step on the kickstarter until it hit compression, let the kickstarter return to top. When that was done the kickstarter would engage an exhaust valve lifter and you could kick it over with no problem. If it was cold it was a one kick affair. If it was luke warm you could be there forever. I kept mine pretty stock. Dumped that 20 lb. muffler and put the clip ons under the top tree. As it was a California bike it was way too lean. Jetted up a bit and it was a great bike. Wish I had kept it.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ok, best I can tell Hammerwoman ventured too far left on the bail curve and was too busy quoting imaginary entities in this thread to keep it on the road ;)

quote:Originally posted by Wanker

quote:Originally posted by Hammerwoman

What ? The SRX had automatic decompression . When you moved out the kicker a valve opened . It was actually pretty easy . One day I turned it over with a pair of birkenstocks on . An Enfield Bullet on the other hand would break your foot .
When they stopped importing the SRX ( 86 was the only yr for us )to the states a few years later they changed it in 91 ( monoshock and electric kick ) . That was a cool cool .

·
Registered
39 Posts
quote:eek:k, best I can tell Hammerwoman ventured too far left on the bail curve and was too busy quoting imaginary entities in this thread to keep it on the road ;)
Yep, that would be me, at least two or three nonstandard deviations to the left of. . . huh? That was just in my head?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

When the SRX came out the handlebar compression release was done away with. It had an automatic compression release built into the kicksarter mechanism. Step on the kickstarter until it hit compression, let the kickstarter return to top. When that was done the kickstarter would engage an exhaust valve lifter and you could kick it over with no problem. If it was cold it was a one kick affair. If it was luke warm you could be there forever. I kept mine pretty stock. Dumped that 20 lb. muffler and put the clip ons under the top tree. As it was a California bike it was way too lean. Jetted up a bit and it was a great bike. Wish I had kept it.
That's exactly whats I says but you saids it so much shmarter that I dids. [:p]

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sorry Wanker. I think you and I were typing at the same time. You beat me to it. If you want to grab your Birkinstocks I've got a Weslake with 14:1 comp and 35 deg fixed advance and NO compression release that you can have a shot at.

·
Registered
123 Posts
why am i suddenly having flashbacks of my buddy's 70-whatever inch harley trying to throw me over the bars when i kicked it? my 650 triumph is ok...but more than that, and i just ain't got enough ass in my pants! i guess i need more bratwurst and pabst!!!! and, since i'm in milwaukee, that shouldn't be a problem. i still might get myself a 250 in the spring, been wanting one of those little things since i road it up at RA earlier this summer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts