Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thanks to the blizzard, United Airlines and Laguardia Airport, I am stuck in Chicago till Thursday. Anything interesing bike-related to check out?

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
nah.....nothing.

haha.....check out chivin moto on the web.

they ave a board. all good guys. a few of them frequent here also.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Been over 15yrs, but I had a girlfriend who's sister lived in Chicago (she owned a bar where I drank for free). Fantastic food & drink in Chicago. Gingerman is a neat bar, where they filmed part of "Color of Money". Stay away from Rush st unless you're a drunken frat-boy. Motorcycle-wise... you realize (of course) that Chicago is under feet of snow,so not much motorcycle shit likely to be going on.

I really like Lonely Planet travel guides... had one a few yrs ago while I was in Boston. Try this:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/chicago

·
Registered
968 Posts
The museum of Science and Industry is awesome. You can get there by bus. I love Chicago public transit.

Not moto related, but they have a the ONLY german u-boat remaining. Its an awesome sight.

Frank Lloyd Wrights Oak Park house is at the end of the Green Line on the subway as well if your have any interest in his work.

Those are two of my favorites.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well since you have till thrusday you could Amtrak it north to Milwaukee for the HD museum. Its pretty cool. The bar (Fuel Cafe) has some great beers.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Not sure what nights are what at The Exit

but it's a wild place

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A belated thanks for the input folks. While I missed my winter project bike work I was able to make do with some of the fantasticness that Chicago has to offer. 2 highlights.

1. Chicago Music Exchange - this place is so nice I did not expect to let in. In fact I was left alone with walls of amazing vintage guitars and no one to bother me while I noodled about. Amazing.

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

2. But the best by far - Ace Motorcycle & Scooter. Benellis, Guzzis, Tritons, H2s, Lambrettas, lots of classic Beemers etc. Chad the owner shot the shit with the wife and I for a while and was the rare quality of knowledgable and nice. Te wife now wants to buy a BMW /2 with a side car - I am lucky. If you are in Chicago it is a must.

ah yes the website: http://acemotorcycleandscooter.com/default.aspx

Other than that I ate deep dish pizza, mexican (for some reason better than NYC, almost as good as Cali). hot dogs and drank Leinkugels. Life was good.

I will post pix when I can get them off the wife's camera.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
i went to Chicago in 1996 with the band i played in at the time, we got off the plane, walked to a bus stop and the 1st person i spoke to was a yorkshireman that lived 18 miles from me, how uncanny!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Ha... Ace Cafe...

Anyone remember when that guy posted here?

An ex-girl (not ex-Gurl) lives in Chicago, and spoke to me of that place a few yrs ago... douchebaggery.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ace Cafe or Ace Motorcycle?

Ace Cafe (as far the internets tell me) was a bar.

Ace Motorcycle and Scooter is a shop. I found no evidence of douchebaggery.

Sounds like unfortunate naming.

I now return you the Geeto/Hacksaw homerotic grudge match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts