Cafe Racer Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You get what you pay for in this world.

Buy nice or buy twice

And other generic clichés regarding buying shit.

Anyone who has had cheap chinesium rearsets snap on them mid corner will tell you this
Yes but this is 500 bucks for a couple of circuit breakers, some wiring terminal blocks and some light flashers.
Which only part way replaces something that maybe already came on the motorcycle. If you rarely or never blow fuses now, what's it going to do for you? It's cheap electronics, not pivoting levers and machined parts to stand on, I'll put the 500 into those nice rear sets.

If you were scratch building 30 motorcycles you'd be looking for a more economical solution in a hurry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes but this is 500 bucks for a couple of circuit breakers, some wiring terminal blocks and some light flashers.
Which only part way replaces something that maybe already came on the motorcycle. If you rarely or never blow fuses now, what's it going to do for you? It's cheap electronics, not pivoting levers and machined parts to stand on, I'll put the 500 into those nice rear sets.

If you were scratch building 30 motorcycles you'd be looking for a more economical solution in a hurry.
Its really a lot more than that.
Honestly i have done scratch builds with both traditional wiring component harnesses and these m units.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
I've done both and can see the benefits of both.
Neither way is perfect for sure. But if you can afford the best why not have the best.

Plenty of things on modern vehicles aren't needed but but are there for an added cost because they are nice to have.

A casio watch for £10 will be just as accurate as any £10,000 rolex but if you want a rolex and can afford a rolex more power to anyone who buys a rolex.

Point to note i do not own a rolex. I can't afford one, go figure.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Maybe if I knew nothing about electronics and was useless at building a wire harness :unsure:
.... na, who am I kidding, I would never drop that kind of money on something like that.
and when you start talking about rolex and rearsets that's just a sales distraction, that don't work on me I'm old.

Specifically, what does it do worth 500 bucks?
and that's just for the M-unit, you need to drop a whole lot more coin and time to actually make it do anything.

Two of these gadgets and you paid as much as an iPhone :|

Ten of these and you bought a really nice brand new motorcycle :|

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
lol now you got me thinking about all the things I could buy for 500 bucks,
I'm going to need a whole lot more money :unsure: I can think of several things I would like that are worth 500 bucks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Specifically, what does it do worth 500 bucks?
-solid state fuses that cut power to a circuit in the event of a short. As no actual overcurrent draw is required to trip the circuits it provides much more protection for circuits you may find in modern speedos or spark ignition units.
-solid state fuses mean that once you find the short and put a bit of tape of say a chaffed wire it won't leave you stranded as you just reset the unit.
-solid state and programable relay for the flashers. Gives hazard function for older bikes which is a safety bonus. You can use traditional or led lamps and not effect flashing rate. It has self cancel which is a nice safty feature. It can phase the flashing in and out rather than just off if you feel fancy.
-has a built in modulator for the brake light so you can program it to flash under normal or heavy braking which is yet another safety feature.
-has a built in alarm system which can also alert your phone someone is messing with your bike. Alarms run at a couple of hundred just for this feature alone!.
-shuts all other circuits off when starting so all the juice from the battery goes to getting the bike going.
-self diagnosis of any circuits experiencing faults via the leds on each circuit.
-removes the need for any relays as all outputs are full current rated but the switch inputs are simply an enable signal of miniscule voltage.
Ability to use any switchgear including single push buttons such as the canbus items fitted to modern bikes. (I fitted backlit KTM switches on my last build which was a nice touch).
-all circuits are protected against reverse polarity.

I could go on.
There is a massive hatred on here for these things due to the hipster connection but my god they are very clever bits of kit.

Dont knock it until you try it. Ive yet to meet anyone professional or amateur that has used one and didn't admire the German engineering.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
On the motogadget, Used them a good few times on lots of builds.
Amazing bits of kit.

On this build though its 100% not needed especially if you're not going to be doing indicators, starter motors or other normal road oriented electrics.
If you are going for all the electrics you would find on a normal road bike then its worth it.

I have said it time and time before on here though.
Don't wright off the motogadget m-unit just because hipsters use them.

They revolutionise bike wiring.
Who says I wouldn't have an electric starter or blinkers?
Absolutely will.

You get what you pay for in this world.

Buy nice or buy twice

And other generic clichés regarding buying shit.

Anyone who has had cheap chinesium rearsets snap on them mid corner will tell you this
Blindly paying more does not get you a better product.
Dumb thinking.

An educated buyer might choose to spend more to get more though.
I can not see how the m unit makes wiring any easier. Still running the same connections to the same items.
The troubleshooting and compact package appeal to me for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You're really not running the same connections to the same items. The switch side and output side are completely separated electrically.

Its a lot simpler to wire one of these overly expensive dohickeys.
I know because I have done both.

If you're pockets aren't deep just use a traditional harness.
Nothing wrong with it and it will work beautifully well if done right.
It will be cheaper to boot.

Horses for courses. Nothing wrong with either solution.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Supposedly this is a quote from a happy M-unit customer:
"After spending months hesitating and staring at wiring diagrams like this one, and basically just being frozen in anxiety of not knowing what to do next, I finally found the glory that is the Motogadget M-UNIT.
Once I found the M-Unit and realized how it could make my life way easier, and that I wouldn't need to look at the stock diagrams anymore,"

Um,

If this schematic freezes you with anxiety :/ you don't have a clue about electricity, stop messing with it and learn how to read a wiring diagram, because this **** is as bone simple as a motorcycles electrical wiring diagram gets.

This: mo.flash Blinkrelais von motogadget <- 50 bucks plus shipping
... or you could buy one from wallymart that does the same thing for about 10 bucks.

This: mo.relay standard <- 40 bucks plus shipping
... or you could buy one from your local wallymart that does the same thing for about 10 bucks.

imho M-gadget stuff remains a glorified high-priced solution to a non-problem, but somebody's getting rich off it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The accessories that they sell are massively overpriced and not worth it 100% agree.

They almost take advantage of people who dont know shit about electrics. But the business model seems to work so there are plenty out there.

You obviously don't need any of these accessories if you buy the actual m-unit though.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
btw: modern trials bike front brake assemblies and 21" front wheels are practically universal now,
could fit on that as easy as anything that exists.
Probably work damn good too.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Theme is fail.

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #115

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Are cafe racers even a thing any more? Is anyone really playing tone up dress up?

Thought that shit faded out.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Are cafe racers even a thing any more? Is anyone really playing tone up dress up?

Thought that shit faded out.
No clue, I was never really part of the cool crowd and certainly not now that I'm an old man contemplating retirement!

On a maybe unrelated note what the hell happened to Geeto67? Fall off the face of the earth? I know he got fed up with the site but even on other sites I've seen him on he's been away for years.

(No, I'm not stalking. I'm just avoiding real work...)

·
Registered
10,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
He is still around.

Got that BMW/VW bike running.

Reactions: TrialsRider
101 - 119 of 119 Posts