Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any tips or tech to get out small scratches on my chrome, there are some minor rust spots too. I want my chrome to shine like the top of the Chrysler Building!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
use 000 steel wool and chrome polish (I use mothers). Works for getting those little rust spots out. Scratches are pretty hard to cover up since they are in the coating but a good quality polish will work wonders.

After you are done polishing, apply severl coats of carnuba wax. May dull the chrome a little but it does wonders for the cheap japanese chrome to keep it from re-pitting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks! Where might i find this fine steel wool in the los angeles area?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a 3 corner scraper to take the rust off the top then Autosol to polish, although I've heard Mothers is better.

Scott

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
0, 00, and 000 steel wool can be had at home depot. I work on so much rusty junk I buy them in the 9 pack. Put a little dab of chrome polish on the surface and then work it in with the steel wool. Working with the bare wool will clean the rust really quickly but can sometimes leave very tiny scratches if the chrome is soft (as the cheaper chromes tend to be). Just work it in with some elbow grease and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
To clean off the minor rust spots, I use my 8" buffing wheel (mounted on a bench grinder) with very fine buffing polish. Not only does it take away the rust, the chrome is left without any scratch marks and the rust spots are removed. I have some before and after shots in my camera from my current build - I'll have to post these later - for now I have to get back to work...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions guys, it is a big help, i'll post pics when i'm done...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions guys, it is a big help, i'll post pics when i'm done...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts