Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CafeRacer forum.

Over the last 18 months I have slowly been building my first project.
Its been a labor of hate! I was given the bike which was in an awful state.
Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.
50 quid here, 100, 200 quid there.....
Sinnis front end, frame work, engine tweaked etc..
I've purchased a KTM Duke 125 exhaust and am looking to mate it up to existing down pipe.
from 45mm to 28mm. Ive been quoted 200 quid by a local company but was wondering is there any way I can do it myself without welding? I have some of that flexi exhaust pipe which is somewhere in between the two pipe sizes.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reducer in backwards.
Sometimes going to a manufacturer is a far better plan than DIY. I can't help but think that unless you have lots of time with your welder and also because the exhaust is such a focal point for looks and performance try hitting a vendor. Mac exhaust comes to mind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would just cough up the money for the pro to do it if you cant.
The work done so far means nothing if you go for a crap peice of flexi pipe.
Just do a couple of months overtime and be glad you done it properly.

On the subject of doing it properly.
Both for sheer practicality and looks that thing needs front and rear mudgaurds. At the moment it looks unbalanced and weird without them.
For the love of good that will be a cool little scoot if you actually complete the bike with mudguards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input Guys,
Youre right, I should cough up the cash and get it done properly.
On the subject of front mudguard, I'm still working on that one. Going to have to fabricate brackets in order to fit to USD forks...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This is a good point. You could cough up the 200 and the guy does a half assed job that you aren't happy with.

You might want to get the exhaust that came with that header and cut it after it makes the turn. It would make things WAY easier for the welder...

Persomally, I would pie cut a mid pipe and weld it up.

Sometimes going to a manufacturer is a far better plan than DIY. I can't help but think that unless you have lots of time with your welder and also because the exhaust is such a focal point for looks and performance try hitting a vendor. Mac exhaust comes to mind.

·
Registered
95 Posts
love the front end though...
As to the mud guards. Go to Dime City Cycles web site. When I can't find exactly what I am looking for they often have it. Even if you can't bring yourself to pay their asking price it at least lets you see what is out there and you can make up the bits at home. I didn't notice where you are located but there are quite a few used parts yards here in California that specialize in vintage dirt bikes.
Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
As to the mud guards. Go to Dime City Cycles web site. When I can't find exactly what I am looking for they often have it. Even if you can't bring yourself to pay their asking price it at least lets you see what is out there and you can make up the bits at home. I didn't notice where you are located but there are quite a few used parts yards here in California that specialize in vintage dirt bikes.
Cheers
A P.S. to my last reply DCC also can probably help with fender brackets. Here I've found that the USD forks will be easier to find a proper bracket for than RSU (LOL when you are old those are Right Side Up forks) in that there are head light brackets that can be modified to mount fenders. One the rear just sit and look at your project without the seat. You will see a way that is workable. Airtech Streamlining offers some fiberglas rear fender options. I have made up neat little straps from ally and then mounted them to the frame with what I call adell clamps (aluminum straps with rubber cushioning) to hold the straps to the motorbikes frame. Clean and simple, looks factory and the whole thing fits snug.
Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pie cut a mid pipe? Whats that? Ive already looked at the mid pipe for this exhaust, it would complicate engineering.
I dont have welding kit or experience.
Please advise ;)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
A good exhaust shop should be able to bend what you need pretty cheaply. Mount your muffler where you want it then, if you can't get the bike to the exhaust shop, make a paper towel tube template, lot's of measurements and a couple good photos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive ordered a made to fit reducer for a tenner.
28mm flixi pipe to join up.
will mostly be hidden behind number board.
will update with pics when done, cheers everyone

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Pie cut a mid pipe? Whats that? Ive already looked at the mid pipe for this exhaust, it would complicate engineering.
I dont have welding kit or experience.
Please advise ;)
buildandclick.com

It's nice that you picked a small bike for a project.... and it looks nice and tidy. So many come here with a piece of shit 1979 xs11 that they want to put a chain drive on to with a single shock.......so hard to learn with. JCW has a thread here with his pie cut exhaust.

Get a welder and start to learn. Sky's the limit when you can weld and work metal. Good luck

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I would either take the flex pipe and get a solid piece bent to shape or put a support bracket at the muffler/coupling connection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts