Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my CJ360T that i bought last summer to save on gas. Lucky for me she broke down so i tore her all apart and have been cleaning everything up and just started reassembling. Unfortunately I am just about broke at the moment (college...) but I am still plugging away and hopefully I'll be done soon. Let me know wht you think!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You have my first streetbike! Same color too....

Have fun with it, if those are the original pipes be careful in hard right hand turns, they'll grind. A lot. Scared the shite outta me first time it happened. Strip everything off of it that isn't needed and it'll scoot right along.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything (mostly is going to be black. cliche i know) My roommate got bored and has been polishing the motor so thats that. For now I am going to keep the stock seat just because I want to ride and I dont have any money right now but eventually I'll do some custom work in that dept. Even though I painted the airbox covers I think I'll just not use em or the airbox's. My main goal as of now is get it back on the road because I have been itchin to ride. Feel free to give me any input or ideas. Im open to all ideas.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on porting and polishing the head today in my kitchen... Should be interesting if nothing else. And maybe if I'm lucky I can have the motor back in the frame and some more pictures up soon. Has anybody by anychance done this procedure on there own? The port and polish that is...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dremel tool is getting super hot so I thought I'ld let it cool down and take a moment to put a few more photos up.

Finally got it rolling!

Mock up with the tank

Taking apart the motor for the port and polish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It doesn't look like you guys are gonna get your security deposit back at the end of the semester! Thats no reason to stop working on it though, keep posting pics i have a feeling it could be an interesting bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now were more worried about them charging us more... haha. Were moving into a house on friday with a 2 car garage and a workshop so that will be nice. I just found my camera again too so ill take some photos tonight, hopefully of the motor painted and in the frame. We'll see.

·
Registered
84 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pietro

I am planning on porting and polishing the head today in my kitchen...
Haha, reminds me of when I match ported the manifolds for the Dell DRLAs on my 1776... in the bathroom of my college apartment. Hi-tech work with a dremel and WD-40. Tarp draped over everything, what a mess.

Even better than that, my buddy brought over his "lunchbox" gasless mig and he welded the flanges for my big-bore heaterboxes on my patio. Did a pretty damn good job, really.

I also had a longblock sitting on the patio, along with a roofrack and a ton of other VW crap. Bastards gave me a notice to clean up or get evicted. Oh well. I guess this isn't the VW forum though.

Semi-flat black is great for detail work guy, seriously I love it too. But feel free to excercise restraint with it's use here and there.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dude.....

you got to stop working on your bike with your feet.

busted up, dirty knuckles is one thing, but greasy feet......

best of luck!

texy

p.s.- and not a three foot bong in sight....what happened to the youth of today?!?!?!?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahaha. Thanks for the input. We have a stack of tires in front of our front door and 330 gallons of waste motor oil out there too. I'm surprised we havent gotten in trouble yet... As for the black, it is definately going to be pretty much all black for now. My main goal is to get it back on the road and I'ld like it too look decent so i figured that was a good choice. Come this winter I'll be switchin things up I think.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bahhhhhhh. So many annoyances. Has anybody used kreem tank liner and had problems with it not drying? My tank has been sitting for a week now and its still not dry. I rotated it and all that good stuff too... I am running a fan through it now so hopefull it will actually dry. Also, for some reason I am getting no spark but I am 99% sure the wiring is right and the plugs should be good. When i kick over the motor it kind of gurgles. If anybody has any input i would be greatful

·
Registered
278 Posts
Checked to make sure your points are opening? After having redone the head you're going to need to reset point gap, retime, etc. Take the points cover off, stick a fresh plug on the end of the left side wire, ground the plug against the block and manually open the left points with a rubber-handled screwdriver. Spark?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I'm just stupid, but after going through the wiring and redrawing the diagram myself I realized I am missing a "Headlight Control Switch". The main problem is I have no idea what it is or what it looks like and it's definately not the controls on the handlebar. Any ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After some research(including calling the nearest honda motorcycle dealer and the local motorcycle shop., neither of which new...) I figured out what the "headlight control switch" is and have determined that I dont have one... If any electrical savy people could give me a pointer for a quick fix or maybe a way to bypass this thing that would rock. Also, here are some new photos of my progress.

Port and Polish

Kitchen counter/work bench

The motor is in and I'm waiting to figure out this electrical so I can start it

1972 CB450 that i just got for free. Wrecked by a relative but still looks to have a good frame, motor and plenty of other parts. Front forks slipped out of the guides and folded...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sweet deal on the 450, looks like it'll be able to roll again with a new front end on there which shouldn't be too hard to come by parts.

Also, I'm kinda diggin the two different colors of the gauges, like contrast to eachother.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I did it for fun and for some Vandal pride (UI) but I like how it looks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing I forgot to mention with the 450 is that the tab on the head tube that keeps the steering from going too far is a little bit messed up. I would photo'd it but my camera ran out of batteries. Anyways, I'm sure I could just weld it back where it needs to be and it would be fine. I might have to start another project thread here pretty soon...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pietro

Anyways, I'm sure I could just weld it back where it needs to be and it would be fine. I might have to start another project thread here pretty soon...
or just drill and tap in a quick bolt stop...

btw, i fuggin' love the pictures of your "work shop"! makes my memories of my many college rentals seem utterly lame!!! ah, the memories...relish these days my young friend!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
quote:btw, i fuggin' love the pictures of your "work shop"! makes my memories of my many college rentals seem utterly lame!!! ah, the memories...relish these days my young friend!
seriously - that's good stuff. try using the sink as a cleaning tank when you're married.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts