Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any common frames and body parts used on the mid 70's honda's? i see that the cl, cj, and cb 360 is the same except the exhaust and a few small things, but is the 350, 450, or even the 200 cc bike the same frame. i know many manufacturers use the base frame to put multiple engines in (aprilia, buell, ducati, and kawasaki) but is there any base in the many engine sizes in the 73 thru 75 range???

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
687 Posts
take a minute and look at the frames of a 200, 350, 360 and 450. clearly different animals.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not 100% sure about all that. a manual or two states that a 250 is the same???? is that an exception?? just trying to get an idea about which bikes i can get parts from..... i'd hate to bastardize my bike by putting just any old junk on it like play-do!!!

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bastardize how? If it fits, it fits.

There aren't many parts that are standard across that many different sizes (the horn comes to mind). What are you after?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
honda is the one manufacturer where the frames are not a shared item. The CJ frame is actually a lot different from the cb/cj frames, so sometimes even the same motor had more than one different frames.

I can't think of a single honda bike that actually has the same frame as another bike. That doesn't mean they didn't have shared components. A great example of this is that cb750 and cb550. completely different bikes but they still shared things like wheels, brake calipers, etc. Swingarms and such would not fit but some of the smaller stuff would.

the best way to find out is to look up your bikes part numbers and then do a look up by part number to see if there are any shared applications.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
honda is the one manufacturer where the frames are not a shared item. The CJ frame is actually a lot different from the cb/cj frames, so sometimes even the same motor had more than one different frames.

I can't think of a single honda bike that actually has the same frame as another bike. That doesn't mean they didn't have shared components. A great example of this is that cb750 and cb550. completely different bikes but they still shared things like wheels, brake calipers, etc. Swingarms and such would not fit but some of the smaller stuff would.

the best way to find out is to look up your bikes part numbers and then do a look up by part number to see if there are any shared applications.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
excellent, that is what i want to know. more often than not i see similarities, but actual confirmation is expensive and time consuming. i just wanted a general basis to look for parts like tanks, sidecovers, seats, etc. i may be taking a trip to a cycle graveyard and i don't think i'll be so lucky to find all the things i want on my exact bike. and since i will NOT have the bike w/ me i want a good idea of what will fit perfect and what will need to be "engineered". thanx

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
excellent, that is what i want to know. more often than not i see similarities, but actual confirmation is expensive and time consuming. i just wanted a general basis to look for parts like tanks, sidecovers, seats, etc. i may be taking a trip to a cycle graveyard and i don't think i'll be so lucky to find all the things i want on my exact bike. and since i will NOT have the bike w/ me i want a good idea of what will fit perfect and what will need to be "engineered". thanx

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
687 Posts
seats no, side covers no, you might get a tank to fit from a larger bike but you are guaranteed to have to modify it to fit and if you are willing to go that far you can look beyond just hondas for tanks.

do yourself a favor and take down all of the relevant measurements you might need from your bike and bring a tape measure with you. some photo's of your bike wouldn't hurt as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
seats no, side covers no, you might get a tank to fit from a larger bike but you are guaranteed to have to modify it to fit and if you are willing to go that far you can look beyond just hondas for tanks.

do yourself a favor and take down all of the relevant measurements you might need from your bike and bring a tape measure with you. some photo's of your bike wouldn't hurt as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got some cb 360 parts laying around.. mainly stock stuff that I took off or from parts bike I had... I've got a perfect stock seat. if anyone needs one

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got some cb 360 parts laying around.. mainly stock stuff that I took off or from parts bike I had... I've got a perfect stock seat. if anyone needs one

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
me me me. what all do u have? i'd like a seat, tank, sidecovers, handlebar controls, cables, etc. just for starters

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
me me me. what all do u have? i'd like a seat, tank, sidecovers, handlebar controls, cables, etc. just for starters

03 rsv Tuono (STARF8R)
81 cb750f (stolen)
75 cl360 ("Chupa"thingy)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got a good seat.. good factory bars.. I have some controls but they are rough. I know I have a fresh painted battery tray, chain guard. I have a good rear plastic inner fender. I have great tailight and bracket. good rear fender but it has been painted is not chromeand tons of misc brackets and things... just let me know what you need

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've got a good seat.. good factory bars.. I have some controls but they are rough. I know I have a fresh painted battery tray, chain guard. I have a good rear plastic inner fender. I have great tailight and bracket. good rear fender but it has been painted is not chromeand tons of misc brackets and things... just let me know what you need

1 - 20 of 40 Posts