Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine hit a snag in building his sportsman 350 racer. has anyone put a cl motor in an sl frame? he has plenty of cb/cl motormounts, but the mounts don't match up to the frame. did the sl have specific castings? mounts? plates? any advice to give?

·
Registered
687 Posts
it should be the other way around, the sl won't fit the cb/cl frame. the front lower engine mounts are farther apart on a late model sl.
may sound silly but did he try putting it in on the right side if the frame?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
If this is an SL350 frame with the two downtubes and the SL350 motor that does not have the starter motor on it then it will not mate up to a CB, CL, or even an SL that has the starter motor on the front. The starter motor bottom case is different from the nonstarter motor bottom case.

And by mate up I mean it's not a direct bolt in operation. You can make anything fit anything with enough money, time and tools.

Craig

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm really trying to get this guy out of proddy heavy in ahrma and into sportsman 350 everything else is finished on the bike except the motor install. does anyone have any sl frame mounting plates they can spare/advise on how to fab a set? noone local seems to have done this in recent history, so progress has hit a brick wall.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Scott,

Is this a SL350 frame that has the twin front downtubes? And is this a CB350 motor that originally had an electric starter?

Craig

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, the frame is from an sl and the motor is from an amalgamation of cb and cl parts, the starter motor is no longer there and is blocked off. he's put a ton of work into the motor and frame separately and it'd be a shame not to run them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts