Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me first start off by saying hello. i found you guys though the wonderful world of google.... now onto the reason why im here, i am trying to get a CL175K6 started after it has been sitting for 10 years. it is my girlfriends dads first bike. the engine was rebuilt right before he put it away so its in pristine condition. however, he forgot to drain all the gas out of the thing. so of course after sitting for 10 years it has turned into pretty much a glue. well the needle that controls the flow of fuel into the bowl is stuck in the closed position so im not able to get any fuel into the carb. anyone know if soaking the thing in some carb cleaner might help it come out? also, anyone know if carb rebuild kits are available? thank you in advance

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
rebuild the carbs. Soak em. Yes, kits are available. Make sure you get the right one. Always available on egay. And there are a LOT of 175 guys here, so ask away!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the quick reply. if you guys are interested i will post up pics. its a great bike. all original 2000 miles. he bought it in japan when he was stationed there and brought it back home. he bought a fat boy and it has been sitting in the back of his garage ever since. if i can get this fixed and figure out how to get the screw off the timing cover and take care of the points then i have no doubt that the thing will start up.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Welcome aboard,
Now fill out your profile. It helps. In order to get the screws out of the points cover use an impact driver. If you don't have one you can try getting a proper fitting #2 phillips screw driver and smack it in the screw head a couple of times with a hammer. Steel screws in aluminum cases always oxidize in place with time. Smacking the screw head or screw driver with a hammer will break the bond between the steel and aluminum and allow the screw to back out. It is wort it to make sure that youry this witha good screw driver. The screws are soft and will strip out the head if you are not careful.

Ken

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will get some pics up as soon as i get the thing running. once i get it running ill clean it up and polish it up..... you know after working on this thing i have kinda grown fond of it... i may buy one for myself and do some different mods to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgot to tell you what was wrong with the carbs.... got the carbs off, cleaned them up reinstalled them and gave them gas.... no gas was making it to the carbs. turns out that the float valve was stuck closed and not letting fuel in on BOTH carbs. had to take them both back off to clean them out. while i had them out i noticed something wrong with the slow jet in the right hand carb. the person that previously rebuilt the carbs got a piece of wire stuck in it. that explained why he couldn't ever get it running right and why he just stuck it in the back of the garage... so here i sit carbs disassembled on the kitchen table waiting till 9 tomorrow to call the local bike shop to see if they have #38 jets in stock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys, i got it running today.... only problem is that i cant get the thing to idle worth a darn. i know that im doing something wrong here. one thing that might be wrong is the slides. i was reading the other CL175 carb issues thread and noticed that everyone was saying that the cutaway goes towards the airbox and not towards the engine. could this be my problem???

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think the slides might be getting a little stuck as well if it goes up past about 5k it dwells there then slowly comes back down.... any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
make sure your slides are in correctly, there is a right and left slide. The notched side should face the air filter. As far as getting stubborn screws out....a 50/50 automatic tranny fluid and acetone works well to penetrate and free them up. As mentioned previously use an impact screwdriver. now....let's see some pics......

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
take the airbox/air filters off and look and see if the slides are sticking by turning the throttle, releasing it, and seeing if the slides stick. If they don't, then you need to check air screw/jetting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts