Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 cl350 frame that I am building from scratch. I bought a cb350 four tank. Here the problem if I set in the factory mounts the top triple tree bridge does not allow full motion of the turning radius. If I move the tank back it does not look right. How much if any can I shave the bridge clamp with out compromising the safety of the front end

·
Registered
965 Posts
They're pretty fragile cast aluminum pieces to begin with. I wouldn't modify them to gain clearance as you're just asking for trouble. I'd get a different set of triples with an offset that works better for you or modify the tank if you're dead set on making it work. Just remember that geometry and proper handling are more important than aesthetics.

·
Registered
477 Posts
^ What he said. ^

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes that is another good option. This thread is the perfect example of how projects quickly snowball. You want to install a a different tank = modified steering stops. You want clip-ons = new forks and headlamp assembly. In my case, broken timing chain = 5 years building a vintage roadracer and changing every single thing on the bike.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Grinding off yoke metal to clear a tank is a strategy fraught with extreme danger. CR's back in the day often just let them hit the ally tanks and make their own clearance or they reduced the steering movement by fitting bolts or welding metal onto the lower triple clamp stops. Back in the day back in old Blighty, the bruised thumbs of a CR was a sign of dedication. Maybe.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
I'm lost on what's not working?
CL and CB 350 frames are identical.

·
Registered
52 Posts
cl350 twin frame, cb350f four tank. it looks bigger, and the lower front extends forward more, i can see how it wouldn't fit right. what size fork tubes do the 350f's use? maybe you can switch the triple tree's over if they're a little different.
17050333671pj-tankfuel_big17500333671PJ-01_2cb6.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about using the triple tree from a cb four but they look the same from the pics I checked out. If I am wrong that would be so cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts