Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, gents, I have a couple questions. Admittedly, I’m more of a fabricator than a mechanic, so tuning these little bikes does not come very naturally to me…

On my CL350, I’m getting really bad performance. It’s my first bike, so I just assumed that’s how these twins perform. But then I built a CB360, and that bike seems to have twice the power of my CL350. Is this normal?

Both bikes run open pipes—which I understand is not ideal for performance. I just got a TIG, so I’ll build some 2-1 reverse cone megaphones after the riding season is over. Back on topic, both bikes run the stock CV carbs with K&Ns.

I honestly think my CL350 is way out of tune. I have new points and a condenser arriving this week. I read through this topic (http://www.caferacer.net/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7094) and think maybe my timing might be way off. Like drgonzo, it revs through the powerband, then hits a wall. I basically max out at 65mph. Again, is this normal?

Any pointers as to where I should begin to look is well-appreciated. I’m almost embarrassed to admit this, but once the bike started (after 20 years sitting) I never screwed around with the timing.

Also, in the thread by drgonzo, there was discussion on advancing the timing. How is this done?

--Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would think the difference in performance would be marginal when both are in tune. I set my timing with a dial type timing light. Locked the advance mechanism then with the light set on 38 degrees I just aligned the timing marks with the bike running.
Oh, I think just about EVERYWHERE one can look was covered in my thread...lol!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Then my 350 is proper-f_cked…

OK, I hate to sound like a complete douche, but can you explain this better? I take it you did not need to crack the stator cover because—in my experience—this cannot be done whilst the bike is running; oil pukes everywhere (again, ashamed to admit I know this). So I take it you timed it at the points.

How did you lock the advance mechanism? How did you align the timing marks? Again, I’m very new to this sort of thing, so any help is appreciated.

--Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
OK..I had an old extra stator cover that I cut a notch in just over the timing mark. When I set time using the light I install this cover after setting initial time. I locked my advance mechanism with safety wire around the advance weights tying them to their mounting plate. My bike is a race bike so to keep the centrifugal advance for your street bike you will just have to rev the bike enough for all the advance to come in when u are setting total time or u could just take a reading at idle speed to measure initial advance then dial in +2 or +3. I think my stock advance setting was 35 degrees total so mine is only advanced 3 degrees.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. When you cut up your stator cover, what material did you use to make the window? How did you bond it to the aluminum?

--Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Is the idea to run as much advance as possible--until the motor starts to ping?

--Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
you can do the centerstand thing, not really that much oil come out, but if you have all winter to dream up stuff to do you can make a little window like this

1 - 10 of 10 Posts