Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I pulled off the forks and swingarm misc stuff as well. My wheels are a bit spotty of rust and the swingarm and wheels are greasy gunky dirty. This may sound stupid but could someone toss me some pointers on what products work good on cleaing parts?? I'm just used to cleaning my chain every ride with wd40... Never had to clean this nasty shit. Also the wheels I was told some steel wool, is this good for removing spots of rust on the wheels? My forks are beat up and look dead, I was planning on buying new ones or do I clean these up and sell them? Also can I soak some parts like rusty bolts and stuff in something over nite to get them clean? Just curious?? Hey thanks for any pointers you can toss this way.

* the swingarm looks a bit beat up but should I toss it and buy a new one or will OT make much difference?
- thanks again, Cristian

·
Registered
359 Posts
Things that have worked for me:

-Use SOS pads on chrome
-If you don't have a parts washer, get a big tub and fill with some diesel. use that to clean parts. Get some gloves on and get in there and clean those parts (But then you have to dispose of it properly) I've used brillo pads and paint brushes to get the nasty stuff and hard to reach places.
-WD40 works good for general cleaning
-Oven cleaner works suprisingly well.
-Air craft paint stripper to strip paint

Forks, well I'm not one for polishing parts really because it takes up so much time. And the first time you get a little scratch in it, you'll be swearing up and down because you just spent 80 hours on polishing. See what I mean? And it's been my experience to not throw anything away. You'll end up using it later somehow.
There is a product called Evaporust. I have not used it, but it claims to take rust off and make it look new. I don't believe it though. Better to take that stuff to a wire wheel and go to town.
I don't know what model bike you have, but if it's a dime a dozen bike, just try to locate one and save yourself the time.
Of course these are things I've learned in my short time. Many others have much more experience and better ideas/methods. But I think this will get you started.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Evaporust works. It is pretty nasty stuff.

Don't use Brillo pads on chrome. Go to home depot and buy industrial steel wool in 000 or 0000 gauge. Brillo leaves scratches in the chrome, fine steel wool won't.

I degrease non alloy parts in simple green.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Cleaning chain with WD40 is a REALLY BAD IDEA, even if you use chain lube afterwards.
Apart from that, steam cleaning works real well on alloy parts covered with oil/grease.
Soda blasting makes carbs come up like new, vapor blasting is even better but more expensive (very few places do it)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never use chain lube..that just gunks up your chain. I always use wd40 on my chain after every trackday and street ride. As long as your wiping clean immediately after with shop rag. My chain has never been gunky for two years since I started using wd. It still is super clean and never gunky. I will disagree with you on that one, its very important to keep a clean chain for sure. And my 5 trackdays plus country aggressive riding last season proves wd is just fine as long as your spraying clean and wiping the chain clean and spotless. I will always do that and so do all my track riders that ride intermediate and expert class.
** but much thanks for all the side info. I'll be cleaning up parts later this week! Thanks again

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
supossedly, after you polish your aluminum, if you spray this stuff on it

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

it will keep it bright.

i have used it on firearms to keep them rust free, and it works. i got drunk one night and left some guns outside long enough for the dew to fall on them, brought them in, wiped them down with CorossionX, and never got a single speck of rust on them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Never done the aluminum part polishing exercise but are most of the aluminum bike parts anodized ?
and doesn't polishing with any abrasive or wire wheels remove that anodizing ? Which leads to further and worse corrosion ?
ed

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I picked up some Mineral spirits, n brake cleaner plus some gloves, brushes and a big bucket. I also seen a YouTube video a man cleaning out gunk and grimefrom an older bike. He said and videod his cleaning and he used wd40 the whole time. The stuff came out really well. I also bought some more of that incase I do that. Well will see , Ill also be getting the sos pads tonight

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would go with what PJ has to say. He is one of the most knowledgeable persons on this forum. But hey, feel free to disregard the answers to your questions and bathe the bike in WD40!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use kerosene (or diesel when I have some) in a plastic cat litter box to clean greasy engine and suspension parts. The cat pans are cheap and a convenient size for most everything that I usually need to degrease. They work for oil changes too.

And with the WD-40 thing, look into it. WD-40 was never designed to be a lubricant. It is actually a solvent designed to displace water and prevent corrosion. WD-40 actually breaks down grease and oil (hence being a handy cleaning agent). By spraying a liberal coating of WD on your chain, you are, in essence, degreasing it and effectively shortening the life of the chain. The issue here is not that dirt will stick to it so it needs to be wiped down regularly, but that WD-40 promotes metal-on-metal contact in high pressure scenarios (such as a drive chain). It has its places, but not on a chain.

I do however use WD-40 to clean carbs (and most other small parts). The pressurized jet from the little red straw is great for blasting out all the small ports in a carburetor and WD will break down most of the gunk found in them. I let the parts soak in one of my "litter boxes" for a while, hit it real good with a toothbrush, then everything gets a good paper towel wipe-down. I follow this with a good blast from the air compressor and that's all I usually need.

If there is super bad gunk in the carbs, I use this stuff http://www.amazon.com/B-9-PARTS-CLEANER-BASKET-GALLON/dp/B0002KKIIC. It works great.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
For carbs, they sell this stuff in spray cans called "Carb Cleaner". Easy to find at any auto parts store. Good for cleaning... ?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Brake cleaner is a stronger equivalent to the carb cleaner stuff, and is available in chlorinated and non-chlorinated varieties, the prior being stronger but much more of a skin irritant. Avoid using it on plastic (discoloration) and rubber, as it will shorten its life. It also dries with little to no residue. Purple Power is also a fantastic degreaser.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts