Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
MEK is one of the most dangerous chemicals, and no one should be using it !
Well you better stop consuming cheese then. As for being dangerous, what is it that sets it apart from any of the other chemicals found in the average garage? Gas, brake cleaner, paint stripper, paint thinner, toilet bowl cleaner, acetone etc...... You shouldn't breath in the fumes from MEK or get it in your eyes or get it on your skin. Like any chemical it should be handled appropriately and disposed of properly. If you're going to avoid MEK because it's hazardous, then good for you, but then I would recommend you avoid gasoline as well.
Actually you should be more worried about those little fabric softener sheets that contain benzene.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
MEK issues:
https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/1258.pdf

I am sure there are others. Bottom line: try to minimize breathing any chemical soup for longer than absolutely necessary.

For cleaning out rust, I just poured a couple of gallons of EVAPORUST into a CB160 tank and was surprised at how well it removed rust and flakes from the inside. That particular tank didn't have much flaking or heavy rust so I have no idea how ell it would work on a tank that's just a series of holes, loosely connected with a thin steel skin. Worked better than I had expected. YMMV.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I was recommended to use stuff by Frost and it worked, not great but a lot better. Wondering whether a liner is best or not, as I've seen they can create issues themselves.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
So I was recommended to use stuff by Frost and it worked, not great but a lot better. Wondering whether a liner is best or not, as I've seen they can create issues themselves.
whenever I used wood acid (oxalic acid) and the first treatment didn't do it, I just repeated it once or twice and it looked fabulous.
One container of wood acid from the hardware store was enough for probably 20 treatments.

no coating, and probably 3 years later it looks good in there last time I filled gas.

one thing to remember is to run an inline filter for a while after cleaning the tank. those rust flakes will continue to come off for months.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I went with a por15 tank lining kit eventually.
The metal prep worked well, as has the liner.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I went with a por15 tank lining kit eventually.
The metal prep worked well, as has the liner]
Be interesting to know what the long term results are on that liner. I used the same stuff on a tank, but haven’t had it in there long. Thinking of doing another one.. this time in a new aluminium tank just for a little extra insurance... well just because. Wondering if there is something better out there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was recommended them from some old guys who use them in old brit bike tanks. Being classics they often sit with fuel in for a while and the liners seem to stop the rust at least, if not the gummy varnish, especially prevalent with ethanol being used more in fuels.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I was recommended them from some old guys who use them in old brit bike tanks. Being classics they often sit with fuel in for a while and the liners seem to stop the rust at least, if not the gummy varnish, especially prevalent with ethanol being used more in fuels.
I just bounced the idea of using sealer on an alloy tank off a fellow who has built a few tanks and he sort of gave me a polite kick in the nuts. It’s going to be subjected to a little more vibration than normal, so there is a possibility of a stress crack or two regardless of whether or not it’s lined. He pointed out what fun it would be to repair (TIG) if it had a liner. Makes sense, so going to refrain from using it on this one....and at the end of the day, I guess if it’s designed and welded properly it doesn’t need it..... as in hope Darwin doesn’t come tapping on my timber.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts