Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for this one but didnt come up with anything.

I am about to clean up my motor for some paint and I was told to use Super Clean on it and scrub with a toothbrush which would get the grease off but it says to avoid long contact with aluminum. Any input on this? Or any ideas on what might happen if I were to go ahead with it?

If I missed a topic that might cover this please let me know what to search for. Thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
simp green is a really good alum cleaner. two or three cycles w/ brushing and warm water works super. i suppose it will eat alum if you soak it 24/7 but under normal conditions, it won't hurt anything assuming you rinse well, dry it thouroughly, and paint it right away. i have cleaned alloy parts with simp green for years after final polishing on a wheel to remove the compound wax etc.
-parks
ps. i think camelhairy eats aluminium though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I think I might try the Super Clean on a smaller alum part because I think it will have the same effect as the simple green more or less. If not then I will be savin up for some simple green... You gotta love bein a broke college kid...

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 on the simple green

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I like stainless steel tooth brushes and stainless steel wool

whatever you do, don't use steel wool or brillo pads on it

tiny bits of steel will break off in the pores of even die cast aluminum and it will have white chalky cancer that keeps coming back forever

stainless steel wool is a bit hard to find but any decent restaurant supply should have it

maybe your favorite eating place keeps some stashed in the bathroom closet

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it took so long to get back on this subject. I am finally out of school for the summer though so back to work on the bike. The super clean definately works well and I have found that as long as I dont let it sit on there it is completely fine. My roommate got bored and has been polishing the motor so thats pretty much taken care of. Thanks for all your input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts