Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I now have a 71 cb350 completely torn down into a million pieces. First things first...gotta clean that bitch up because she looks like she hasn't had a bath since 72.

angle grinder to the frame w/ a wire cup removed all rust and paint...ready for primer.

angle grinder to the motor removed heavy staining and deposits, but what about those hard to reach areas like the fins and what not?

Any tips, suggestions?

I would like the engine to be as clean as possible since im not painting it flat black like everyone else...might even try to polish it? Feasible?

Thanks in advance!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
engine - use strong chemicals. look into aluminum brightener with acid in it. if it doesn't kill you to drink it, it doesn't clean metal well. also a pressure washer with very hot water will help the storng chemicals.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Easy-off oven cleaner... used with caution. I don't know what it does to aluminum, but carefully used, it cleaned the fuck outta my engine, with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The oven cleaner works good. Just can't leave it sit on it too long. I did it to a engine valve cover and intake manifold and I left it overnight and it look like it was in a fire the next morning. It had black shit and flakes all over it. Not sure if it had a chemical reaction with a aluminium or the grease and grime on it that cause the black stuff to form. Just Like Judey said "carefully used". I just used a wire wheel and it gave it a nice satin look. I didn't use a sealer or clear coat or anything so it just got dull again. I'm gonna hit it again with the wire wheel and use some flat clear coat. I used the clear coat on my hubs and they have a really cool finish to them. Not a polished look but still shiney with a touch of badassness. I don't know how else to describe it. lol.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys!

I think I'm gonna get brave and pick up some oven cleaner on the way home from work today...my girlfriend will be pretty bummed to find out its for the motor and not her oven! LOL

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Soda blast the beast. Nice thing about soda is you can wash it away with water or airblasting. Also environmentally friendly for those who care.

Pete

·
Registered
50 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pinche Chingadera

quote:Semi-gloss? LOL
I think on the can it actually said badassness. [8D]
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!! I've got to find me a can of badassness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts